Citalopram hot flushes ? Help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello , I started on cita about 3-4 weeks ago , I'm only on 5mg after staying on 2.5, (my gp knows this)

After a couple of days of starting the cita I started getting the odd hot flush sensation which came on suddenly then went , now Ian getting this an awful lot more to the point I am really concerned as although I try to ignore it , it makes me feel uncomfortable and happens at any time.

My mood has improved a bit Ive noticed , I'm wondering if it's the medication building up in my system ? It's difficult to power through though as I notice my anxiety is now worse in the mornings which is awful

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had the hot flushes for about a week. I spent one night in the hospital because my BP had gotten very high and the hot flushes kept comin.

I talked to a nurse that had anxiety and she told me that this is a symptom and that I need to tell myself that it is my brain creating them and when I felt them I would just say to myself, " I know what you are and you can't hurt me." I had some small ones after that but they have stopped completely.

• Posted

I know that most meds like Citalopram will actually increase anxiety before it gets more absorbed into your system.

You will hear frequently that it will get worse before it gets better.

I would recommend that you give up caffeine, start exercising, eat really well, and learn CBT be can the medication alone can't help get rid of anxiety.

• Posted

Don't just ignore it because we need to retrain our brains to not bring on these symptoms.

I am on Citalopram 30mg and symptoms don't get worse wirh increased dosage.

Anxiety did increase when I first started taking it, so the Dr gave me something to take for that

• Posted

Thank you , I'm starting Cbt tonight and will be looking at meditation as well, the mornings are the worst I wake up really early with bad anxiety. I have noticed it's only got worse though since citalopram hence why I'm only on 5mg but I was hoping after 3-4 weeks which it is now , that it would improve not be getting worse

• Posted

They should have increased your dose. It seems that 20mg is normal and your brain driven anxiety will feel better faster with more of it absorbed sooner. I am far from an expert but I was told that I was on 10mg too long and that was 5 weeks. My anxiety was high. When it was upped to 20mg it impoverished and improved even more when upped to 30mg
    • Posted

Hello Diane, my GP started me on Citalopram Wednesday last week....20mg......swapped from Sertraline.  He advised me to increase to 30 today.....I'm apprehensive, but have done it.  I'm finding my side effects are tiredness, headache and dry eyes. I'm mainly ok from the nose downwards (!!!!), except for the occasional night sweat.  I'm supposed to increase to 40mg next Thursday.  He said to ease back a bit if side effects get bad!  I'm hoping they won't get any worse than now.  My head feels spaced out right now.  I note you said your symptoms didn't get worse with increased dose......what about side effects?

• Posted

I make it a point to never read about side effects. I go by what I feel. The symptoms I got were loss of appetite and increased anxiety and some yawning.

I increased my water intake a lot and quit caffeine and sugar.

I was given Ativan for anxiety but it didn't work well with me. I take one Clonaxepam 5mg a day and I haven't had an anxiety attack in a month.

When I feel them coming I use the CBT things I have learned.

• Posted

Thanks for that info Diane.  The symptoms you describe are three of the most common, including yawning!  I've read that the manufacturers are obliged to publish every side effect noted, no matter how minuscule.  The writer does point that if we read the possible side effects of paracetamol we wouldn't take them either!  It's a good idea for everyone to increase water intake, especially since dry mouth is a side effect.

• Posted

Exactly, it was my psychiatrist that told me not to read them and to stay off google. I am even careful on here.

All it takes is a suggestion of a bad side effect and people with anxiety that it to another level.

• Posted

I agree......I'm even starting to be selective about which topics to read on this forum, though I do notice there are a lot of people posting in "Anxiety".  Had various blood tests done last week......I was curious about Vit B12 and Vit D levels.  Both readings came back fine, but I'm wondering if I take supplements of each Vit (even though I have enough) will this assist depression?

• Posted

If you eat a balanced good diet most of the time you don't need supplements although I know iy helps some people especially if they are low in magnesium.

• Posted

I'm not sure if I'm allowed magnesium by mouth.....I take warfarin. I know magnesium is very good for low mood, but my gp advised taking it a few hours apart from other meds .....it will lower their efficacy. It's true that nobody should have vit/mineral deficiencies if eating a well balanced diet but many depressed people lose their appetite.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.