Citalopram increase and side effects

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello..

So to begin my whole life I have had bad anxiety and this last year has hit me harder than ever. In april I saw my doctor who prescribed me 10mg of citalopram for 2 weeks then 20 mg after that. About 5-6 weeks later I felt great and like myself again I was so happy. I wasn't ocer worrying as much and I felt relaxed. Then the end of August I started getting anxious again. So I went to my doctor who upped my dose from 20mg to 30mg. I am on day 12 of the increase and I feel like anxiety is worse. I can't sleep proper, I wake non stop super anxious and scared. And have this horrible scared anxious feeling most of the day and sometimes in the evening it gets a little better. I heard that an increase can cause side effects again and can last three weeks... Is this what is happening to me?? I am afraid it's just not working for me anymore but I really want it to work. I am sick of feeling this way.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I too increased from 20 mg to 30 mg 19 days ago (I was on 20mg for 5 weeks) and got all the side effects back again. My anxiety increased, nausea and felt awful. I think the side effects are starting to subside, though I feel awful in a morning, anxiety and wretching every single day as soon as I wake up. I'm starting to have some better spells some days now but today I've felt nauseous all day.

I haven't been able to eat since I started citalopram nearly 8 weeks ago, surviving on protein shakes and very occasional toast.

My biggest worry is I won't get better or feel normal again, it's so hard to try stay positive x

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel. Every morning I wake with full anxiety and then I get more anxious because I am thinking it will never go away and I have to run to the bathroom and get sick. It's not fun. Can barely eat. I got through this back in may and was great for a few months but anxiety started again and my doc told me to increase my meds. Day 15 for the increase and I just want there to be much longer better days. How was your day?

• Posted

Hi today hadn't been too bad. Usual wake up with anxiety and wretching but then got on with things. Still felt ill but able to function, if that makes sense? The odd wave of anxiety and stomach churning, felt tired all day. Managed some toast this evening but that's all I've eaten. I'm taking it as a positive as that's the best I have been for weeks.

How was your day ? Hope it was ok? Vx

• Posted

I have ups and downs. More downs it feels like. Still can't eat much. Have to force myself to. But still wake super anxious and gagging every morning which just makes me even more anxious. Can't stop focusing on afraid that I will never feel ok again. Day 16 today of my increase. I want to feel great again. I want these meds to kick in. How are you?

• Posted

Day 23 for me going from 30 to 40.

I get glimners of hope to just have it snatched away. Been on cit over 11 weeks now. Started on 10.

These last 2 days have been the worst of my life. I have a baby boy and can t take care of him I ll so distressed.

When this end ?

• Posted

I think it's the constant increases in medication for you, you started at 10mg and 11 weeks you're already at 40mg. I think your system is hit hard with the constant increases. How many times have you been increased and how long in between?

There is hope. Hold on and remember those good times because you know you can have them. I know it's hard, I have trouble staying positive.

I know it's hard especially when having to take care of your baby,, I have a three year old son and I just want to be back to happy, calm, relaxed mommy for him

Stay strong, I'm hear if you ever need to talk.

Day 16 today from going to 20mg to 30mg.

• Posted

You will get there, I agree I think it's your body trying to settle down on the dosage. In some ways it's good to know we're all in this together, although if I could magic it away from all of us I would!! It's a tough journey but try to have hope that you will recover it is something we all struggle with as you can see from everyone's posts. It's a flipping long process! I feel guilty for my children too as they are a bit older now and I can't hide it from them like when they were younger. It makes us feel like bad mums when we're struggling and can't always cope with the everyday stuff. How are you doing at the minute?

• Posted

Hi im 9 weeks in on cit, nearly 4 weeks on 30mg. I do think I'm getting more ok ish times in the afternoon and evening, but the mornings are absolutely horrendous. It makes me feel like I'm getting nowhere. I'm having cbt and acupuncture but I'm so drained by it all and fed up of feeling so ill. I worry that I can't eat and the weight I've lost. I want this to work but worry it won't 

• Posted

Hi Victoria, it will work it's your brain that's making you think you won't get better as at the moment especially in the mornings the anxiety has control. It is this symptom that is usually the last thing to go and it WILL go. If you're like me you probably don't want to accept that you have anxiety and spend all your time worrying it won't go away or it will keep coming back. The better afternoons/evenings are a sign that things are working and at some point the mornings will become easier until you suddenly realise the anxiety isn't there. The problem is when you wake up anxious (like you expect you will) it frightens us and it's hard to get control back. Try thinking to yourself ok I feel anxious but that's ok as its just temporary and it will be gone later. Try everything to take your focus off it. Don't worry about not eating, eat in the evenings when you feel a bit better and just eat what you can in the day. When was the last time you saw your doctor what did they say, did they not give you anything for the nausea? Are you sleeping ok. Trust me when you're well you will put the weight back on and get on with your life again. Please try and believe it as this will help you so so much. This is a challenge for so many of us, you are not alone in this.

• Posted

Hi Sarah thanks.

The dr says that it takes time and just got to stick with it. They wouldn't give me any anti nausea drugs as said they contradicted with the citalopram.

I just wish I could relax, my tummy in particular is so tense and nervous. I'm doing cbt but struggling a bit with it.

9 weeks feels such a long time and last night and today I've been really anxious

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel, I've had a good few days last week but I came crashing back down yesterday. Didn't sleep well and then the negative thoughts started and the nausea. Couldn't eat much yesterday as the anxiety makes me physically sick. Then when I went to bed last night I only managed an hours sleep!! Couldn't function this morning so my dad had to take the kids to school (my husband had to go to work) and my mum stayed to look after me. I get really bad leg tremors (I think it's to do with adrenaline). Couldn't stop crying as I find it so hard to see an end to this when its a bad day. Feel crushed that I'm still not stable. I struggled with cbt too a couple of years ago. Can I be cheeky (you don't have to answer) but how old are you because so many people I speak to are around my age that suffer this. (I'm 36) I'm on week 10 1/2 of this journey!

• Posted

P.s it's my tummy that's badly effected too, apparently women tend to have lots of problems with their digestive system when we're anxious! It's where we keep all our stress!

• Posted

Hi Sarah I'm 43. I'm so fed up of feeling like this. I worry whether I will ever feel normal again. I just want to be able to function and go back to work but at the moment that feels such a long way off.

Sorry you aren't feeling good either, are you doing cbt this time too? Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.