Citalopram increase then decrease

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. My name is Nic and I used to be on citalopram years ago for anxiety and it saved me. Three months ago I had a massive panic attack that had me in an ambulance off to the hospital thinking I was having a stroke! I started taking 20mg citalopram again that next day. Felt more anxiety for a bit... some smaller panic attacks and then felt better. At seven weeks was having some rough days so doc said let's up to 30mg. This produced the most devastating anxiety I've ever felt....bed ridden and wave after wave of panic. I realized it was side effects and after 4 weeks of hell and leaving my job I dropped again to 20mg. This was 4 weeks ago today. I have had some terrible days ( worse than before starting the meds) and some lighter days where the anxiety is still there but I can do some things and see a glimmer of light. My question is......do I need to count the time I've been on it as my latest drop four weeks ago. Does the brain need it to be stable at this dose to start the journey of recovery? This has been such a long period of feeling terrible and turning down social events and visits. I need to know I'll recover and feel normal again.

Feeling all of your struggles on this journey and relishing the successes...... what a horrible ride we are on! x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am not a doctor but I would think that you must find the dose that will work for you and stick with it. stoping and

Starting, raising and lowering the dose

Will create lots of ups and downs, would not work for me

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I totally agree that the increasing and decreasing dose had not helped me in my recovery. I have been stable on 20mg before and can only hope that will happen again. I'm very cross I was put up to 30mg so quickly in the first place. Hope you are all good too x

• Posted

You will recover. That's one of the awful things about depression..... we think we won't, because it seems like that when we're all over the place.

One of the worse things is wobbling around on dosage, because every time you change, there are likely to be side effects from increasing or withdrawing. Unfortunately, that's just how it goes.

I would try to stick where you are now and if I understand your question, then yes, start counting weeks from when you dropped to 20mg. So if you dropped to 20mg four weeks ago, then you are in week four of that dosage and need to allow a bit more time to settle. It can take a while.

Six to eight weeks would hopefully show some improvement.....

• Posted

Thank you for your encouraging reply. This whole time of my life has been the biggest test I've ever had. I'm normally super social and have some lovely friends but find it so hard when they are wanting to see me and I just am not capable at the moment. I even have to force myself to drive short distances! Will try and keep the faith that this will get better... thank you x

• Posted

You will be fine, take good care of yourself. I have been through this and it is not easy to go though but worth it! I am stable and feel normal again. Try yin yoga too. It's great

• Posted

Honestly, it will. This forum has helped me through a s****y few weeks. All the best to you x

• Posted

How are you finding things now?! I was really looking to up my dose as I’m 8 weeks in and had some blips. This last one has lasted over a week and I’m still in the midst of it and trying so hard to see the light ahead!! 

I took 30mg yesterday but instantly regretted it and am determined to give myself another month at 20mg. If it wasn’t for this forum and people’s honest experiences, I wld have given up on Cit by now as my GP and the packaging suggests you shld be well after 8 weeks. This is just not true and has taken ppl months. Everyone’s story is different but, at the end of their story they have recovered, so I am hopeful!! 

Hope this msg finds you well now 🙏🏻 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.