Citalopram increase to 40mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all need some help had my citalopram increased to 40mg first month was hell after that started to slowly feel better but 5 months later I feel very anxious again 😭 it started a week ago is it just a blip I can't go any higher as 40mg is the highest why did I feel back to normal but no suffering again. Could I just be having few bad weeks will it get better again??? Thank you for reading xxx please reply so upset

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh bless you, has there been any triggers to upset you and bring on your anxiety?? I'm on 10mg of citalopram and having counselling to find the root cause of my anxiety. It's really worth it. Worth thinking about xx

• Posted

Welcome to the 40mg Club!

It could be a blip and as Angel says it may be that something has triggered it.  Then again it may just be a blip!

I have been on Cita for nearly three years and gradually increased to 40mg starting at the usual 10mg.  What a roller coaster!  However, little by little the symptoms, side effects and fuzzy, crappy feeling wore off.  I have had the odd blip and gradually learnt to realise it was coming, deal with it and eventually just carry on.  Even now I get the odd down feeling, but I relax and it gradually goes away.

As you may notice 'gradually' is a bit of a favourite word.  This is because once you accept it will gradually get better and allow it to take the time it needs, then yer partly on yer way to recovery.

Are you still in the situation that brought you to this sticking plaster for the brain, in the first place?  Mine was work related stress and after 6 years I admitted I was ill and did what my GP had been trying to advise me to do for a month sign me unfit for work and get me on Cita.

I trusted her and that trust was not unfounded, she really knows a lot about mental illnesses of the modern kind.  So, I removed myself from that and those which were making me ill and after 2 years I was much recovered.  I was looking to reduce, if possible come off, but I have had two non related medical conditions and two close bereavements since.  So, I thought nah, stay on it until everything has settled again, which I was going to, but now I need a hip replacement!  OH JOY!

Two other blips I had that were similar was that we (I cannot take all the credit for this, lol!) missed judged how many tabs I had for the weekend one time and I had 10mg left after the Friday dose, until the Monday morning.  That was awful beyond trying to explain and the other time I missed two in a row!!!  We still can't understand why, but on the third day we did notice the signs I was suddenly crashing!  Not as bad as the first as the dose was 40mg and Cita had been in my system for about 7 months, but still not nice.

Just remember Cheryl everyone takes as long as they need to recover.

In the meantime keep posting (whatever it may be) and keep reading (however, don't over think or worry about what some of what we may say because, it may not be relevant to you).

It is nice to know people care, I don't know what I would have done without this forum back in those dark horrible days.

Regards,

David

• Posted

As David21660 and Angel1984 asked, have there been any triggers or outside stressors lately? Work? Problems with partner or friends, money problems or any illnesses of family? Also I found the higher the dose the worse I felt! So I'm not much help. I've stopped Citalopram completely due to it increasing my anxiety and other awful side effects. I hope you work it out. ?? We all need to find the root cause of our depression and anxiety as Angel1984 mentions.

• Posted

Hello all thanks for all your replys. Nothing has triggered it I don't think I've been looking after my 1 year old nephew every day for about a month he can get me stressed at times 😅 but I feel like I'm bk to square one again I was on 30mg for 5 years then had 1 to many drinks at New year never drinking again may I add. So doc upped my dose to 40mg end of January this year took me around 6 weeks to feel a bit normal again no it's all started again. Citalopram does work for me so I am guessing it's just a blip. It's really bad in mornings too 😣 and I've got a really bad tension headache round the back of my head which I don't no what I can take for that to ease it a little ? My doctor said that citalopram just doesn't stop working . Maybe I need to relax a little and have time off babysitting for my nephew till I recover again. Xxxx

• Posted

Just a thought, but I was fine for ages and then suddenly got really anxious again. I discovered that I'd accidentally taken one too many of the citalopram !! I was really awful for about a week to 10 days until it calmed down again. Any possibility of this? X

• Posted

I've had many ups and downs while being on 40mg for about 8 years or so, but nothing too detrimental, until recently when I messed around with the dosage too much. I know exactly how you feel, back to square one, it is awful. I definitely think you are just having a minor blip, as sometimes seems to happen with these types of medications. Obviously if it persists you may want to talk to your doctor about it, but I would imagine that it will level out soon enough and you'll be back to normal again! I've been having a rough few weeks myself, and it can definitely feel like an eternity. Hang in there and stay strong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.