Citalopram increasing causing hallucinations?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was attacked last year and my Citalopram dose went from 10mg-40mg within that time. When I was changed to 40mg I started hearing voices and seeing things. I've had to cold Turkey them as people started to notice the change in me... I wasn't coping at all. I feel so much better off of them. Has anyone else experienced this? I Don't think I could ever go onto another anti D.. I felt numb rolleyes

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Did you go from 10mg to 40mg gradually? I have heard of hallucinations on this medication but it's because the dosage is too high. Were you on it for anxiety or depression? How are you feeling being off of it?
  • Posted

Yes I increased gradually over the year, I was on 49mg by the October. I'm feeling so much better off of it. The voices have gone and I'm not seeing things. Ita only now I can look back and realise just how bad I was. I had no motivation to do anything, I kept getting tempted to drive into oncoming traffic... I was in a really bad way
    • Posted

I am having the same problem right now. How long did it take for your symptoms to go after you stopped?
  • Posted

Oh dear that's awful! I was on 10mg until about 10mths ago. Since 2003 after death of my only younger sister. For about a year I took one every other day to be weaned off. Now I no longer take them. I never had any problems. Sorry to hear that but glad you're feeling much better.40mg is excessive to say the least.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear of that, wow! Glad you are off. I'm still looking around. If my heart rate could be lowered, I could try the natueral L-tryptophan. My heart just wants to race. Ativan slows it down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.