Citalopram is a drug with Serotonin...be careful

Posted , 2 users are following.

About other medication you take with this drug...some other drugs produce Serotonin...if a person gets too much Seratonin a toxic reaction can occur (its very rare)....but it did happen to me.

If you use an interaction drug site and find that there is an interaction with Citalopram and another medication you are taking...talk to your Dr.

DONT count on the Pharmacist or the Dr. to warn you about drug interactions (like I DID)...because my Pharmacist...called my Dr and told her there was a possibility for me to have this dangerous interaction...and my DR...DECIDED not to tell me and to keep me on Citalopram.

I could have died....see Serotonin syndrome...if you have another drug that interacts with Citalopram.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would like to think that professionals know what they're doing.

• Posted

Yea..I DID think that the professionals knew what they were doing.

But, remember...everyone makes mistakes or has over sights...and actually....the Pharmacist in my case identified that there would be an interaction and called the DR!

It was the DR who made 2 bad decisions.

1...Not to tell me about the possible interaction.

2...To keep prescribing a drug that could harm me if taken with another drug.

SO...I filed a complaint with the Medical Board about this particular Dr.

On all outside appearances...this medical Dr...looks wonderful...acts professional and I didn't have ANY reason not to trust her.

• Posted

Missy people on this site are in the main suffering from severe anxiety and I think the last thing they need is anything that can increase anxiety
    • Posted

I'm not sure how to interpret this message.

If it means...you felt the thread may scare people and give them MORE anxiety...than ok, you are entitled to say how you feel about any thread.  But, my answer if that is what you are saying...is I KNOW people have alot of Anxiety on the Anxiety board.....and what they don't need on top of that is a medication interaction,

It is the professionals duty to protect us.  But, what I am saying is we also have the responsibility to protect ourselves...and there are tools on the internet to check medication interactions.  For myself ANY medication that is classified as having a "Major" reaction with any of my other medications...I don't WANT and I WANT the professionals to make me aware of these circumstances.

Which DIDNT happen in my case...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.