Citalopram- is it really worth the side affects?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys smile

so i got prescibed with citalopram by my GP a few months back she warned me i would feel slightly more "agitated" when i first start taking it. SLIGHTY. i felt awful way worse than before started getting worse suicidal thoughts and felt dizzy ect. i understand its because i have just started taking the medication and my body needs to get used to it but it was so bad to the point i had to stop taking it and never gave it a chance.

now do i push through it for the few weeks it needs or not? i really dont know if its worth it

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi laurajadee

Doctors always underestimate or downplay the side effects from antidepressants.They effect everyone differently and some people suffer more than others. I first took these Meds in my early 40s and had mild side effects then just a year ago I had to take Citalopram again due to heightened anxiety and depression after the death of my Mum. The side effects were horrific for the first six weeks and I didn't really feel completely well for six months! Now I have my life back again and renewed zest for living.

So my advice to you is stick with it and ride the storm because it is so worth it at the end,it gives you the opportunity to reasess what was not working in your life and how to think more rationally about life's hurdles.This is where therapy comes in useful. 

It is a long journey and I used to take it one day at a time and set myself small tasks just to get through the day. When you feel terrible just think I am going to go with this feeling because it will pass! Trust us on this forum we are all here to help you on this journey and it takes time ,patience and resilience.

just keep talking to us because we truly understand and want to support you.x

• Posted

Hey there, i was on Wellbutrin for 2 weeks and it was horrible, so went off, but I did need something then went on citi for 4 months and I didn't really have any side effects. I went off for 3 and 1/2 months to only find out I needed anti depressants, was gunna go back on citi and then Dr suggested Lexapro(Escitalapram) it's a newer version of Celexa(citalapram) it's stronger, with less side effects and starts working faster!!! I didn't have any side effects and it seemed to start working right away. I was on 20mg citi and now I'm on 10 mg Escitalapram, 10 mg equals 20 mg citi, so I'm on the same dose as when I was on citi.I can't stress how amazing I feel, I would so recommend this. Or at least give it a try! But of course everybody is different. Good luck!

• Posted

Oh my, the side effects and the long long time it takes to recover is so, so worth it indeed!  I'd do it all again tomorrow.

I was ill for 15 years and only recovered when I started in SSRI's.  Took around 6 months, but that was short compared to the years being ill.  Have been well now for another 15 years now and it's the begs thing I ever did.  I have my life back.

Don't give up - so many people do and don't reach the full benefit of this medicine.  Don't rush to up your dose either as you can't hurry recovery and it won't make the side effects go away.  Just keep on going, count recovery in months not weeks - that's how slow it works.

Recovery comes in patches - a day here or there feeling well, maybe a few weeks feeling good or a few weeks feeling bad, sometimes an hour feeling real good or half a day feeling dreadful.  Very slowly it'll all even out until you feel great all the time.

Patience and perseverance xx

• Posted

Nice to hear people who have experience with this drug iv been on it 3 weeks now still dizzy still anxious but reading people's posts who have been threw it makes you feel a whole lot better , think us newbies too the drug just want reassurance that the side effects are normal and in time will work, that's were forums like this are invaluable to people like us , I get more support reading these forums than off my partner lol
    • Posted

John 

i felt dizzy ,shaky ,nauseous and generally awful 3 weeks into the Meds. Keep telling yourself this will pass and one day you'll say Hey I feel better this month than the last! For me the morning anxiety was the worst and I couldn't relax so once I'd woken up I would get up and busy myself.i used to go to work as if nothing was wrong ,smile at everyone and then feel anxious again once I arrived home.one morning I woke up and felt really good no palpitations no shaking and no crying. Now I feel great and the Meds for me have been a lifesaver but it took a long time and a lot of persistence so hang in there John! You can do it!

• Posted

It does get better John, even if you can't see it.  It's such a horrible frightening illness to have and all we want is reassurance and understanding that we'll get better.  These meds for me have been a life saver - very tough to get through the side effects, some people suffering worse than others, but it's worth it.

These forums are great - there's many who've suffered and been through it all and are able to help.  Even doctors can't provide the comfort you'll receive here and probably most people here are more knowledgeable as they've had the experience.

Just keep going John - you'll get there x

• Posted

Laura, talk to your doc about them or get a second opinion we must be extremely careful how to amange the suicidal thoughts I think that is common however we need to know that they are racing electrowaves in teh brain nthat dont mean anything and are an unsetteling brain process of medications and brain chemistry, if they get too bad make sure you call for help dont be lead a stray !! The side effects ease in time just be careful with how bad they get though xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.