Citalopram Journey coming to an end?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been on citalopram for the majority of 6 years + with no major blips or concerns. In June, I had a major blip due to personal situations and started having major anxiety symptoms and migraines. At the time my doctor increased my dose from 20 mg to 30 mg. I am drug sensitive and got many SE. Months later, I am still not well with horrible symptoms...bad sleep, racing heart, nausea, lack of appetite, no motivate, extreme fatigue. At the doctor on Friday, he pulled lots of blood to be tested for thyroid etc. he also decreased my dose from 30 mg back to 20 mg and is suggesting I try a new AD. Has anyone swapped ADs and how did that go for you? He mentioned Zoloft as a possible choice. I am now on day 3 or decrease and so scared of the SE getting terrible. I hate this! Help please! I just want to feel myself again. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey why did you change from Citalorpam? Wasnt that working for you? It horrible when you have a blip even when youre on anti depressants they stkill happen dont they ....

Hopefully the bloods will come up with some results. Have you had all your vitamins and minerals checked too.

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

My gp suggested that possibly citalopram is no longer the best medication for me....at 20mg I was starting to have bad blips in my anxiety and then at the increased dose of 30mg after months I still feel horrific and not an ounce better. 

I am trying to find a psychiatrist instead before I change meds though. I am in Florida and it’s hard to get into any doctor quickly. Just holding on for dear life honestly. 

• Posted

Have you tried CBT? I've gotten myself off mirtazapine and currently tapering off citalopram I'm fed up of Doctors throwing pills at me xx

• Posted

Yes I have and I am also lining up a psych as soon as I can. Very difficult to find one taking. New patients in my area. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.