Citalopram/late period

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys. Is there any way the citalopram could cause my period to be late? I've always had my period like clockwork, but started citalopram 2 weeks ago. Have had panic attacks too. Haven't had a "drive" in a while, and took 2 tests both negative. but wondering if anyone has had really late periods with being on something like citalopram? It's weird for me to be late. Lol. Maybe it's a side effect? Or maybe it's just from the stress. I have all the normal period symptoms that I always have, just not the actual period itself. I'm only 6 days late. But strange for me.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Ashley 

If you are suffering anxiety problems I suppose that may cause problems.

Citalopram needs a extended period of five weeks to work

BOB

• Posted

Hey Bob! I'm thinking that's what it is because it's not normal for my body to be off like this. I'm feeling it....just not there yet. lol

• Posted

Dear Ashley,

Menstrual irregularities are listed in the side-effects, so the answer is yes, that could be why you're late, especially if you've had two negative pregnancy tests and are feeling pre-menstrual.

love Tess xx

• Posted

Hey Tess!! Thank you for your reply! I was thinking that's why I'm so late. Between that and the stress and my body being "off". I'm feeling it coming on, having every sign that i'm going to start, just not the actual period itself which is strange for me. I'm not going to dwell on it. It'll come when it's ready. Just making sure that was a side effect and wanted to see if anyone else had had this happen before smile

• Posted

I missed ten in a row when I was on something similar. Once the meds stopped, the periods returned!
    • Posted

Oh wow!! Okay!! Well that's good to know! Because I'm not exactly panicking, just curious. Thank you for the info Tess smile I really appreciate it!

• Posted

Update: Started as of 2 hours ago! Yay! I feel much better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.