Citalopram long term use + wamting to come off

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I wamted some advice on stopping citalopram after 8 years. Ive tried many a time but gone cuckoo crazy each time. I take 20 mg a day. My family just thibk the side effects when i come off are me normally..which really hurts as i was never that way. I started takong them for mild depression and anxiety. Whenever i try to stop them noises are so loud ..voices are ij my head with horrendous tragedy storys and i feel like everyone is whispering about me. I then often will blow and be rash. Ive tries cutting down slowly too. The reason i wamt to come off them is because i have an irregular heart beat due to the drug (not a harmful one) no sex drive and i just cant seem to lose weight.. i have developed high blood pressure and am aware other meds interact woth citalopram. Oh.. i also developed diverticular disease. Im 44 woth a family of four teenage daughters. I work in retail 30 hours a week

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

before you do anything ,go and see your doctor and explain how you are feeling,they are the expert so go and see them
  • Posted

Hi,

From my experience with this drug at 10 mg on of for 12 years, there is no doctor knowledgeable to advise how to withdraw!

Only advice is very very slowly, talking for the vast majority of people, for years.

It took me 4 years to withdraw, without problems, but mild ones are come and go even 5 years off!

At least my blood work values have been adjusted again to normal (low WBC counts, high live enzymes ect)

Take care.

• Posted

Im normaĺly on 20 mg so today ive halved the tablet to 10 mg . Youre right about doctors. They dont know the half of it. Will keep updated x
    • Posted

You should do it at least in increments of five ..it will be kinder to your brain..
  • Posted

i appreciate that doctors are only human,however they study for 5/6 years too become doctors ,so maybe they know more than we do,having said that i ,after 10 yrs on this medicine i also got fed up .I was on 40 mgs ,and went cold turkey and i also had withdrawal symptoms ,but still pushed ahead. 
    • Posted

Are you talking about a phychiatrist or a gp.because gp.dont have a clue .they prescribed these meds like Skittles..
    • Posted

Go don't learn a thing about Phychiatric meds...only phychiatrist have the knowledge..my GP.would of let me drown in all the phych meds she prescribed..dam her..thank goodness she finally realized she couldn't help and told me to see a phychiatrist..best decision I made ever...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.