citalopram made me smell like i was decomposing.

Posted , 3 users are following.

It was my 2nd attempt using these pills.The first which was 2 years ago was totally problem free however,just 4 weeks into this time round and although the pills made me feel amazingly happy they also made me smell like i'd died...litterally!this went on for almost 2 months.

I never made the connection at first and went to see a bowel speciallist many times and each time i was told everthing was fine. But it wasn't.

I'd got this permanent gas leak from behind and it wasnt flatulence. The smell followed me all day. within minutes of bathing or showering it was back, and smelling fowler than ever.

one day after a shower i itched my nose and realised my fingers stank of this smell and so did the rest of my body. it was seeping through my skin.

It was at that point i realised it could be the anti d's so i came off them and within a few days i noticed a difference. less than a week i was smell free.

just over a week i was having probs because i'd come off them so sudden.my brain felt like it was pressing against my skull. so i went back on the citalopram. 12 hours later the foul smell was back and stronger than ever so i've stopped them again and dont even care about the head pressures. they wont last forever.

i went back to my GP so he could cancel a related hospital appointment and to tell him about my find but... he didnt even care.he just suggested i'd take a lower doze and was writing me another prescription out :? obviously i said no.

from now on GOOGLE is my GP.

thankyou for listening.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

that is so weird, i have noticed a faint metallic smell off of my skin of late...now i'm paranoid!
  • Posted

Owe well rolling flesh, at least you can make others laugh on here! Ive noticed a smell too-It like an old person odour ( no offence to the elderly) oksy so Ill try that again - its like an old person with a portable lou Oh dear-i only got a very small miniscule extension on my coursework. I had to ring my doctor for a note-SO embarassing, But my girls granny gets buried on wednesday so there was no way id get it all done for the following friday. ( sorry -did I just type that out! :shock: !)?. Must admit, an odour is nothing, I dont knkow how I would have got through these past 3 weeks without ( this smell ) whoops I mean, these pills!
  • Posted

Trust me this was no ordinary odour. certainly not B.O. or any of the many fart smells. i could have coped with smelling old even though im not. its like my whole body turned into a giant spot, full of puss and the majority of the stench came from farts. i was so convinced my bowels were infected i called them \"infection farts\" lol.

Don't get me wrong ppl. The pills did the job i wanted them to do but the smell was just too obvious to ignore. even i was heaving at times.

Hopefully its a side effect so rare that nobody else experiences it.

However i was kinda hoping someone could explain why this was happening. Maybe it caused an infection in my kidneys or liver etc...

Anyway please do no stop the pills suddenly as i had to. its causes concerning headaches and dizzy spells . drop the dosage to half a pill per day for a week or 2 first then every other day.

Chow.

• Posted

I know the smell you're talking about. last time I smelt it was after a massive Berlin weekender.

I've been on citalopram for a week and have been fine but missed a day and the smell appeared. Im not sure if the missing day made it come on as the drug started to seep out.

hopefully it goes away. not a fan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.