Citalopram making me crazy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m on day 7 of citalopram, doctor gave it to me for anxiety and said I had mild depression. Into day 4 of taking citalopram my mind started to act crazy like fixating on certain words currently mine is the word cancer. I never felt this way before the medication, I’ve also lost a stone and a half. Should I come off my tablets?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello, these are cery common side effects off citelopram they make you feel worse befor they make you better. I have been on them since 2012 an now tampering off then an starting a new lot of meds as unfortuntly they are not working for me now and this happens.. but i would suggest you stick at it for another week or so the side effect will ease up an im hopeful yourl start to feel better! What mg are you on? 

Sammy x

• Posted

I just never thought like this before so it is all scary to me. I’m on 10mg and I’ve not had a panic attack in 4 days so that’s a plus. But I’d rather have a panic attack than my mind like this. It’s like it’s not even my own mind if that makes sense x
  • Posted

Yes i completly understand you feel distant from your own mind its a scarey thing.. 10mg isnt that strong tbh. I was up to 30mg did start off at 10mg but didnt give me much side effect just a very nervous tummy! As i said if ur happy to id continue takeing them for an extra week or so if no improvement head back to the doctor. Take time out for yourself dont rush recovery x
    • Posted

I will persist for another week, I just hope I start to see some improvement. I feel these tablets have made me lazy and I’m struggling to get out of bed in the morning. Sometimes my mind is over working or completely spaced out x
  • Posted

Oh bless ya.. as i said i was 30mg cit there now cuttin mine too 20mg but also takin the med called Venlafaxine 37.5mg iv lost appeite an really cba either id quiet happly lay in hed all day but iv got three young children so i cant and need to battle thru the day! You will get there xx
    • Posted

Thank you sammy for your words of strength and courage, it’s nice to know I’m not alone xx
  • Posted

No it'll pass after 2-4 weeks when your body gets used to them. However they will more than likely affect your sex drive so you need to be aware of this.

• Posted

Never lost my sex drive..just cause some one had has it.. every one's response to sex drives doesn't account for every one on celexa.

• Posted

No i never lost my sex drive on citelopram at all i was on them for 5years therev just simply stopped working for me.. your very welcome! We all feel alone because its in our head witch is the sad thing 😞 xx

• Posted

Yeah who knew your mind could mess oh so bad. I hope your new tablets start to work for you. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.