Citalopram making my anxiety worse?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey Guys,

Im an 18 yr old male who has been on Citalopram for 4 months now, 20mg since the end of February. I have found that my depression and low mood has been significantly reduced on this medication, which is fab, but my anxiety has risen tremendously. Not necessarily social anxiety, but more of a consistent pounding, fast heart rate which distracts me from my daily life and I cannot take it anymore. It is the worst when I am trying to focus or create something, my head is constantly focused on the heart rate and it creates a nasty cycle of stress and brain fog.

I read the side effects of Citalopram, and it states that 1 in 10 people may experience faster heart rate under it. Do you reckon it could be worth going back down to 10mg? I know Citalopram is known for giving heart problems so this is probably another reason as to why i am very stressed.

Someone please shed some light as to whether this is my medication or them not working at all.

Thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hey bud. I know exactly how you feel. this is my second time round on citalopram and although at first it got rid of my depression at first the same thing happened where my anxiety and palpitations ect got worse. pounding heart and brainfog aswell

my depression has come back recently aswell so I don't know what's going on atm

hows your anxiety apart from the palpitations?

• Posted

also citalopram doesn't normally cause heart problems unless you go past 40mg. that's why that's the highest aloud dose now. but increased anxiety can definitely cause that aswell. it's such a horrible cycle. they both make the other worse.

• Posted

20mg Citalopram was too much for me, I think we don't realise how strong these medications are! However, you've done 4 months it may be worth sticking with it until 6 months? Some side effects take longer to wear off than others. Also the more anxious you are and the more you think about it youll increase your heart rate and end up stuck in a vicious circle! i hope it gets better for you soon x

• Posted

how did you know a certain dose is too high for you? I've always wondered x

• Posted

just a reminder potato.everything you are feeling could be from you keep upping your dose instead of decreasing .take care.higher doses does not equal quick recovery.for all you know you need a lower dose not a higher dose.take care

• Posted

Hi, a week into upping to 20mg I started one night with constant hypnic jerks and muscle twitching all over - I ended up in a&e it was so scary. They said it was the citalopram and my nervous system not coping with it well. That's when my GP changed to onto Sertraline x

• Posted

hi aimee! how are you doing on sertraline? i increased my citalopram to 20mg from 10mg nearly 6 weeks ago and its really effecting my sleep now! x

• Posted

Hi! I'm doing really well anxiety is loads less than it was and i'm sleeping really well again! Do you keep waking really early?x

• Posted

aw good! i keep waking between 2/3 and struggling to get back off! does sertraline work better for you? im due on tomorrow so not sure if thats why im getting all these side effects!! X

• Posted

What time of day do you take it. I found taking it just after dinner improved sleep taking it in morning affected sleep. I found sertraline awful made anxiety lot worse.

• Posted

Yes it has worked better for me I'm not sure why! I still had side effects at the start, sleep and morning anxiety were the last things to get better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.