Citalopram- morning or night!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'd just like to hear everyone's experience of what time of day they take their citalopram.

I take mine 8-9pm and have done for the 3 weeks I've been taking it. However, I'm so tired cause I'm waking up at 1am ish and at least every hour thereafter and then after 6am I can't get back to sleep.

It's so frustrating cause my nausea and anxiety are worse when I'm tired all the time. I wondered if I switched to mornings whether this may help. Any ideas? Plus I'll have to be going back to work soon so it'll be a nightmare.

Thanks everyone

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Mine made me tired in the first few weeks but I didn't lose sleep. These are side effects which will ease away, and probably very soon

• Posted

Hi, I take mine around 8pm too. I can't take it in the morning or I'd be yawning my head off all day. Just been upped from 20mg to 40 tho so maybe once more used to it I could change times as I sleep terrible on it.

• Posted

I wondered if I took it in the morning it would help me sleep better at night. Don't know how I'll cope when I'm back at work. Do you sleep badly too allison?

• Posted

Yeah I have restless sleeps and feel so agitated when I can't get back to sleep. Hoping once used to it will sleep better as I did with the 20mg.

• Posted

I don't really. I just lie there hoping I'll fall asleep eventually.

It has got a bit better after 2 and a half weeks so hopefully it will keep getting better.

Hopefully we will get there eventually.

• Posted

That seems a very big increase, don't think I could handle that

• Posted

I take 20mg in the morning - I still suffer with insomnia despite taking it then. Thinking about splitting it in half and having half in the morning and half in the evening. Anyone done this? Would you recommend? 
    • Posted

Joe is it just that you wake early or many times through the the night. I'm just so tired every day I think I would feel better if I wasn't so tired!

• Posted

I've only been on it since Tuesday so still early days but I've been waking up only once and will stay awake for around half hour/1 hour. Feel exhausted now but trying not to go to sleep as I won't sleep tonight. The test will be from tomorrow as I'm back at work. My body clock naturally wakes me up early anyway so difficult to tell if it's the meds

• Posted

Disturbed sleeping patterns is a side effect and will certainly ease away
  • Posted

Hey Gerrymoo..

I am currently struggeling with that also...i take my 20mg in morning 6.00 and at 12.00 lunch and at 9.00 but swaped my 9.00 citalopram with triptelene 25mg...this helps with sleep..i also use sleeping pills but dont like to take them really..the tripteline i was on for 2 months at night to help sleep and gives dry mouth but now recently decided that drie mouth with good sleep is better...

So im going down on dose of citalopram and mix with triptelene at night...

hope this helps

• Posted

I'd seek your doctors advice....amytryptaline is a second antidepressant

• Posted

Yes I'm at drs tomorrow but was just wondering x

• Posted

Where your meds are concerned your GP is best to advise you
    • Posted

Yes..that does help sleep but be aware its an anti on its own terms..i was on it for a while and was given by dockter to use with citalopram but again..your doc needs to know about this... so im using them 2 days now with my sleeping pills.. its awefull not to be able to sleep and to work @ 6.00 in the morning!!
    • Posted

Yes amitryptilline 25mg

I am on 1 at night with 20mg citalopram in morning...The tripteline really helps a lot but ask the doc first cause its a different med on its own.. i was on 50mg at night and it knocked me out when it was bed time...but now im on 25mg only cause it gives drie mouth if you up to 50mg....lol so yes if your doc gives you ok im sure you would sleep better..i do however use slweping pill still with it but would rather go back to 50mg triptiline and 20mg Citalopram when sleeping meds are done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.