Citalopram..my story..what to do..?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been a depressive all my life, so were my parents and parents before them. Ive also always suffered from insomnia for as long as I have lived, even as a baby I have been told that I never napped and would only sleep for a few hours nightly. In my youth I saw therapists and smoked weed which mostly kept me in check. After the suicide of my dearest friend in our late teens things got really bad, I lost any drive to get out of bed, I never left the house, i never ate or slept, I finally found help in Zopiclone and Lorazepam, I was finally able to sleep every night and leave the house without having anxiety attacks. I went on like this for a while, doing ok, I started studying and working and fell in love, Life was good for a while, my relationship had its ups and downs and at times would add to my anxiety, there were loyalty and trust issues which were not ideal for an anxious person as myself. My Dr decided that I was becoming to reliant on the meds and put a stop to the Zopiclone and limited the Lorazepam, he prescribed me with Citalopram, 1 pill per day, I liked the sound of them because he told me that they were not at all addictive and I could go off the cold turkey when ever I felt better with no side effects. Things carried on, I felt level mostly which for me was pretty good. I was on them for about a year before me and my partner broke up due to a final act of monumental deceit, It was a relationship with much turmoil, but it was some sort of stability and I needed it and I truly loved him with my all. My depression poured back in, everything fall apart again, my body was covered in stress induced eczema. It was around this time that I started getting intense night sweats, I would wake up with the bed soaked and my clothes dripping, my Dr said this was probably because I wasn't on a high enough dose so he put me up to 1 and a half per day...nothing changed, I was sad about my relationship break up..shortly after that I lost my job because I stopped turning up, I fell out with friends and isolated myself from everyone and everything, My anxiety and sleepless nights were still there on and off, I had 3 deaths of family members in the space of 3 moths last year so that screwed me and had me reaching for the sleeping pills again But mostly I was.just kinda feeling nothing, I was always sad, empty, but never really cried, just felt like an empty mass of nothing dressed as a human...which I must say is definitely my preference as opposed to the deep depression that I felt before taking any prescription meds..I'd say the likeness of me still being alive is very small if it wasn't for them, I started seeing a guy about a year ago, tho I had no interest in him at all, he liked me (god knows why) we would hang out sometimes, occasionally get romantic, tho I had absolutely no interest and almost despised it..but for some reason he has stuck around even tho I have had nothing to offer him. About 2 weeks ago I ran out of my citalopram prescription so I didn't take any for a few days...then for a week...I felt no difference. I went to the doctor to get a new prescription, he asked how things had been, i explained that they were much the same although I had had some job opportunities come up in the past few months but as per usual the panic of screwing them up got to my and I pulled out last minute...like always, He gave me a script of loraz and suggested that I replace citalopram with a new medication..its called Venlafaxine. As i said before I had ran out of my Citalopram script about 2 weeks prior and had no real come downs or withdrawals other then a great side effect was that I had a sex drive again, (it had been years) and decided that I really loved this guy that i had been seeing and it was probably the best week of our relationship ever...,,but about 4 days ago i started uncontrollably throwing up for 24 hours...and now for the past 3 days I am so dizzy I feel like when I move my head my brain takes a few seconds to catch up and it makes me feel super nauseous, Ive been sleeping all day and its so hard to move my body feels so heavy and off balance, like I cant hold the weight of my own head up. Im hungry all of the time. At night my sleep is constantly interrupted, tossing and turning..Today I am not as dizzy and have been able to walk properly and drove a little too but i'm on the verge of tears all the time, like I wrote this post before and then accidently deleted it and burst into tears! Ridiculous i know. Also I am becoming more and more co dependant on my guy..something I never wanted or saw coming, was not even really attracted to him until i stopped citalopram, but now i feel like I need him around my constantly...I don't know what to do..I don't wanna be reliant on citalopram forever just to be able to feel average enough to want to stay alive but I dont want to feel this horrible dizzy, sickly come down either, the only good thing outta this is that i've been wanting to have sex again for the first time in years and its really, really good! But even within that...is it real, the love I feel for this guy or is it just a Citalopram comedown thats gonna hurt him when it wares off? I haven't started taking the new script 'Venlafaxine". I don't want to...because I know the come down from that too will have to come one day..So I don't know which road to take now, keep 'coming down' or 'go back up'...Has anyone experiences anything similar?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If anyone has experiences anything similar to anything that I have said then I'd love to hear your take on it...especially if u were able to overcome? I don't know how much longer i can take feeling so dizzy and like my head is to heavy to hold up and most of all the tears. Also does anyone know much about Venlafaxine? good/bad/experiences? Thank you x

• Posted

All i can say is that when you are on antidepressants so long, it can change your moods and dull them to an extent. That's probably why you felt empty and lost your sex drive. It would be much safer to take a low dose of citalopram and wean yourself off them. As for your new man, it sounds like he is genuinely interested and a good un! Don't make any hasty decisions. Give yourself time to get weaned off the med, get back to normal and see how you feel then. Good luck smile
  • Posted

The dizziness is because you stopped cold turkey. My dad didn't stop cold but too quick and had your symptoms. It's quite dangerous. If you go back on them you should feel much better soon
  • Posted

Thank you so much..It has been close to 2 weeks now so im wondering if I should continue to sit it out since i'm that far in, or go back on them and cut down slowly like you say or go on the the new ones my Doctor has prescribed?
  • Posted

I personally would go back on citalopram and come off slowly. If you start the new one you'd still have the effects you do now plus it could take weeks for the new ones to kick in. I've been on and off citalopram for years. I suffer from depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia. Sorry i can't type long - fibromyalgia killing me today. smile
  • Posted

Ok thankyou...how did you find coming off them? And have you ever been able to fully kick them? No need to reply right away at all, just some time when you are feeling up to it. Thank you.
  • Posted

I took my time, came off slowly but surely and was great. I'm on them now. Unfortunately one common problem with fibromyalgia is depression so i imagine i will be on and off for the rest of my life. I think you'll be fine once you go back on them and take a few months to wean yourself. I had been off them for years before having to go back on. If you have a decent man supporting you it makes a world of difference. Going now. Let me know how you get on x
  • Posted

That gives me hope to hear a way that it worked well for you. I guess as much as it can be miserable at times to have to rely on a drug to get us through it still is nice to feel that little bit of safety that the option is there for if or when we need it huh. Kinda like the lesser of two evils one could say perhaps. I just goggled Fibromyalgia, I wasnt sure what it was. Looks like you have not been handed such an easy road. I am sorry. :-( Forums like this are great to discuss and find people to emphasize with tho huh, makes ya feel a part of something bigger which gives hope..I am so glad I found it. Thank you for your advice and kind words. I hope u have a decent man/woman, or decent friends and fam.Bless you x
  • Posted

Hi....What is wrong with Doctors? No, don't answer that!--l know-----they've never experienced this emotional rollercoaster themselves, so really have no idea what they're talking about. l too have been on Citalopram for over 10 years now, and l'm finaly down to 2.5 mg a day. Woo Hoo! ..though in saying that l've just had to go back to this dosage as l couldn't cope with the brain zaps, dizziness, debilitating aches and pains (l have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and scoliosis too) etc. that comes with the withdrawal symptoms. l've just emerged from a 'black hole' -- terribly stressfull year, "So why come off them you might ask?"--mainly because l've developed other health problems and found that Citalopram interacts with all of them --in a bad way! l started reducing my dose beginning of Dec. 2013. One idiot Dr. told me to just stop taking them (cold turkey) and within 3 days l was a blubbering mess!--so went back on them again.

What l have found now that l'm over the worst of it is that l have my emotions back--be they good or bad--which made me realize what a vacumn l'd been living in for years--yes, one of the side effects is loss of sex drive, among a million other things--just Google--Citalopram/side effects, and you'll find out. Anyway, l've found this forum to be very helpfull--it's good to know you're not the only one and that you're not a hypochondriac!! razz

• Posted

Doctors need to explain that there are comedowns and withdrawals and trying to get off the drug is like all others, weather they be prescription or illegal...People need to be able to make informed decisions..especially about something as important as their health..I haven't gone back on it, I decided to stick it out, Physically I feel normal now..but tearful and depressed as I did before I ever started taking it..bit of a catch 22 really.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.