Citalopram or fluoxetine??

Posted , 4 users are following.

So i was on citalipram 20mg for about 4years everything was great then i gradually came off them as i wanted to try for a baby. After 2months my anxiety was terrible. Doctor put me of fluoxetine as its safer during pregnancy. Side effects have been horre dous im on week8 now. I have now decided not to try for a bay but wo dering should i go back onto citalopram or increase my dose of fluoxetine as my anxiety is still quite bad??

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I came off cit in the summer. I had terrible side effects starting 1 month after and by month 2 it was worse. Horrendous!! I stopped cold turkey which was the worse thing you can do. You are still suffering from the withdrawal. It takes awhile. I don't know how long since I gave up and went back on. You're also going through side effects from starting the new medication. I had to go through the effects of starting cit all over again. Try to hang in with your new medication. That takes a bit to get in your system. Most important, talk to your doctor.

Good luck!!

• Posted

The side effects from taking the new medication have been horrendous!! I have anxiety all about the experience of the last few months startin these tablets now its been tough.

How long have you been on it for now and do you find it helps?? I started cit about 4years ago and i had a few side effects nothin like how i feel now tho i dont think!

For all i know this new med could be better for me than the citalopram just needs for time and maybe adjustin. Its just the unknown which is scary for me i have been patient but iv had enough now!!

• Posted

I am right where you are too I'm on 25 mg of the flax 15 and I had a massive panic attack yesterday for the first time since I've been on this med and I have that intrusive thoughts today and I can't get out of my head and if you like I'll never recover etc. etc. it's hard and I am right there with you I completely understand. Don't give up trying for a baby I know people were on Celexa and and had pregnancies and Lexapro and had babies. Maybe give this more time I I do hear Prozac is the slowest acting I know I need to be on a higher dose I'm afraid it won't work to

• Posted

I feel like iv been through enough startin on the 20mg over almost 9weeks now. I feel like you thinking im never going to feel better. I want my life back i want to be happy and go to work i feel useless!!
  • Posted

Hello

Go back and discuss your medication with your GP. 

I take Citalopram 20mg in the evening near bedtime, been on them for over ten years. They work for me and I am pleased with them. The problem is sometimes after coming of the drug then trying to go back on it, sometimes it fails to work as well. Something to consider. Talk to your GP

BOB

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying

Thats what im worried about is it not working if i try to go back on it. Also almost 9weeks on another medication should i stick with this? The unknown is scary i know i need to be patient but its so hard.

I see my GP quite alot she probably had enough of me lol

• Posted

Katie

With the problems in Practice at this time of year the services are extremely streached, would it be a good idea to make sure your new medication works before throwing it out in the bathwater.

If not already would it be benificial to have a course of six sessions CBT and see if your could control your Anxiety by that course of action.

The reason I ask here is people are waiting upwards of three weeks or more to see a GP and the services are creaking at the seems, so giving the medication time to work may be a more efficient way of seeing if the drug is ok.

• Posted

Iv been on it 9weeks now i have given it time but is 9weeks enough to increase??

Im on a waiting list for CBT i have been lookin at self help aswell such as mindfulness.

I totally understand about the strain on health professionals this time of year.

• Posted

Hello Katey

I do not know the area of the countryside you belong to, all I know in the area I live there is a long waiting list for CBT. Your GP will know that and is trying to keep you stable until you have had your treatment. Generally CBT is a six week basic course where options of self help will be explained to you, Mindfulness is one of the activities that may be introduced. You can ask your GP, He may have tapes that will explain how to do Relaxation Techniques, the tapes given are normally explaining the Alexander Technique to you. Mindfulness is a more inclusive technique and books and web pages explain that system to you, Books for ordering on Amazon

You could also try Breathing Exercises, if you have had children you should remember what was taught in Birth Clinics, or on the internet.

You could try diversion techniques where you concentrate on an activity while you are feeling low, I look at picture books and plan possible activities even when the planning comes to nothing

We take Pax out for a walk, sometimes in the countryside around here or on the beach. Anything to divert your low mood.

You can of course come on here and talk to everyone that may help

Keep a hold, always around

BOB

• Posted

Hi i live in Wales in UK. Yes waiting list is long for CBT but my GP didnt offer me any i have gone through work as they offer this support also.

I have watched youtube videos on meditation and breathin which i find relaxin at the time. I also plan or think about things but they dont come of anythin as i dont have the motivation.

I just feel so useless. I used to be on the go all the time n enjoyed it in just so far from how i used to feel. It makes me guilty and down.

• Posted

Well hanging in there!On 25 mg two weeks now!Still have my OCD and not having the crying spells but still feel nervous about everything!I also don't like to be by myself and have no focus or motivation but I am still going into work and caring for my four kids!The buzzing in my back is still there and worried its related to the med!Wish I could report better news!How are you hanging in!I think this is going into week 8 for me,..

• Posted

Katy we live on the Scottish/English Border. I am like you sometimes especially when in pain. I spend my time on the web and do research for activities I will have a go at, we work in the garden a great deal, although I have had Gout over Christmas so I am restricted what I can do

I still do my Relaxation Techniques and they are slightly different to Mindfulness I also look through picture books as I now have problems taking in words

BOB

• Posted

Katie

That is a problem we all suffer from, Motorvation, My Wife has to push me to active because of my Disability and it can be hard work for her

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.