Citalopram - panic attack first week

Posted , 4 users are following.

just started citalopram and within a few days had a panic attack with no warning. had not had one in years . so now im scared to keep taking but dr said to keep going and gave me xanax as a just in case for the next few weeks. anyone have this particular side effect that soon and did u continue the cit and it worked out? thanks!!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

its within the norm to have panic attacks along with some other side effects with any ssri.the xanex will give you comfort if and when you do have another one .it takes many months for some to stabilize on this med.keep going you arent alone.best regards

• Posted

larrylois is right on. the xanax is temporary and will get you through cit side effects. sstis work well for anxiety . take many months to fully recover. you will gradually notice feeling better here and there. hang in there!!

• Posted

oh yeah panic attacks, waking up with with anxiety and increased anxiety overall is all completely normal when you start cit. it takes few weeks to adjust and side effects to lessen. this is my second time on cit. many people freak out and stop taking it and then go and leave negative comments about ssri. honestly i think those people dont need the ssri as much because without it i am a mess and i rather suffer trough adjustment period than feel like i feel without medication.

• Posted

good to know . i have so much anxiety way more than before like i can hardly get out of bed and dont know if i can stick with it . afraid to miss work too. did you all have that too?

• Posted

This is your first time taking it right? All i can say that the first time i took it had 2 weeks of hell and yes i missed work for the time i was adjusting to the medication. i had severe increased anxiety, was not able to sleep, every sound and sight was annoying or scaring me, i started crying all the time i was nauseous, i had no appetite, stomach pains, headaches it was horrible. However my anxiety made my life hell before that i was not able to do anything there fore i sacrificed those two weeks so i could feel better eventually. Basically after about 4 weeks in total i started noticing how my anxiety and low mood just started to dissapear. Eventually the anxiety and crying, and feelings of hopelessness completely dissipated. Because of citalopram i was able to finish university get a good job and move up a career ladder and have a stable and a very happy life it did not zombify me or anything like that... I was soo happy i decided i no longer needed medication and i stopped taking it then after 7 months off of it i crashed baaad! Anxiety and depression hit me even stronger this time round. I am back on cit again and i am suffering again and waiting, hoping for it to work and save me once again. I have realized that i am just one of those people who need it to balance out chemicals in my brain just like a diabetic needs insulin.

All i can say, if you are not as bad without them, if you can handle your daily life without the medication then you can stop it and live with anxiety and/or depressionn and try to survive it every day. I was feeling so horrible before the medication that i did not care what the side effects will be i just wanted to be me again and that is what citalopram did for me it brought back the old happy, fearless me that i was missing so much.

• Posted

thanks for sharing. i am gonna try to stick it out. so in two weeks will i be able to function you think?

• Posted

function most likely yes however you may not feel any better for about 4-6 weeks or even longer it i a slow process but once the initial horrible side effects subside you start to function yes.

• Posted

thanks all. im going to talk to the dr and pharmacist to see all my options. thanks for listening

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.