Citalopram problems 10 months on

Posted , 4 users are following.

so not posted for a while as had been doing so well. but out of the blue hit with something like a panic attack whilst in my own home and two days later still feeling anxious, seems like Citalopram is no longer working! The only significant difference to my regime was that I had started the 5:2 fasting regime that I was on prior to becoming ill with anxiety as I am worried about my spiralling weight gain. My question is for anyone with any knowledge of dieting whilst on Citalopram and can it set you back, is it just a blimp that will pass ? Any help appreciated. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Valerie, I don't really have any advise, just that u aren't alone on the weight gain!!!Grrrrr!! I was on Cita. And swore the gaining weight was not gunna happen to me. Yuup!!! I was wrong, I am off of Cita for 5 weeks now and still trying to get the pounds off.so whatever responses to that, I'm looking to see other peoples situations. But I think if u watch ur food intake and exercise it won't be so bad, and if u hadn't been doing that, I think starting would make a difference! Just exercise alone gives u that feeling of accomplishment and feeling great!! Hang tough and Love life💐
    • Posted

Hi Beth, thanks for your response. Happy to hear you are now no longer taking Cit. hope one day to be able to say the same. Did you find it hard to taper off them and did you suffer any of the side effects that happened when you started them? 

if I thought that trying to lose weight had triggered my latest bad feelings , I could kick myself. I had been feeling so well for some time , what's a bit of extra weight when you way it up against feeling anxious. Can deal with it when I'm better, hopefully.

• Posted

Hi Valerie, no I was quite lucky for side effects! To start I was on sertraline for 4 months, Wellbutrin for 2weeks and Cita for 4 months. I went off Cita on my own, just wanted off of it! I was on 20 mg and I cut the pill in half for 7 days and then stopped completely! The worst is the neck pain, which I'm still trying to pinpoint if it's the Cita or combination of stuff. I've been off 5 weeks. While I was on Cita tho,I kinda get wat ur saying about feeling so good and then when something feels off u think its not working anymore, but I feel it still is working. It's not some miracle pill,u still have feelings! Good and Bad! I think with the weight, give it a bit till u r feeling better and try knocking off a few pounds then! It's never easy but I think if u put your mind to it, u can do it! The main thing is to stay positive! Take care. Beth🌻
  • Edited

I'd say it's a blip and one that'll pass.  Whilst I was recovering I'd have days or the odd week or 2 where I'd feel like I was back at the start.

Citalopram doesn't stop working.  It could be anything that triggered it, and often it's nothing at all.  I find these are part of recovering, and hard as it is, just let it be there, know that it WILL go.  Treat yourself as if you've a cold or something - be kind to yourself, treat yourself, take it easy and don't rush about.  In time it'll pass over.  

I often ten think it's just your body testing you ;-)

Itll go.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate,

thank you for your reply. You're advice is always so practical and calming. Just thought that after approx ten months I was really well most days and doing a lot more as the months went on , almost dare I say, feeling completely normal. It is so disheartening to feel back to square one when any blimps before were not so severe. I'll hang on to your advice that this is just another , albeit more severe,  blimp and hope it passes. No way do I want to increase my dosage, think if that happened I'd rather try coming off and try some natural supplements. Heard good reports from others taking 5 - HTP and l-Tyrosine . You heard of these? 

• Posted

Yes it's surprising that a blip can come completely out of the blue, months after you've been feeling well, even a year sometimes.  It's such a pain but I'd treat it as just another blip.  It might feel more severe, but it could be just possibly be no more severe than it was at the beginning, just that as you've not felt like this a while so probably feels shocking again.

Nomi wouldn't up your dose ..... you'll only get side effects again.  I reckon this is just a normal blip.

Yes, 5-HTP and l-tyrosine - think it was me that started that conversation a while ago initially :-D  Don't take these when you're on Citalopram though, they're to be taken when you're completely off SSRI's.  I've taken these when I'd withdrawn from Citalopram, and yes I felt quite well on them.  They're only when you've come off SSRI's with your doctors advice.

Hopefully all will pass quickly for you, and you'll get back to feeling well again.

K x

• Posted

Thanks again Katie,

interesting to to know you've actually tried these alternative meds, it's something I'm keeping in mind for the future when I can hopefully come off citalopram. So are they the sort of thing you can take as and when you feel the need or do you need to take them for a while before feeling the benefit? Must try and search back your older posts and see if I can find what you said about them.

thanks for taking the time to write back, I know I've been guilty of ignoring posts because I was feeling better and sometimes you don't won't to get too immersed in any negativity when still a bit fragile. There seem to be so many people who suffer from thissad nice that you take the time to respond and help others. It really does help.

• Posted

If I was to go right back on this subject, I would be here all day, so I am going to ask you some questions katecogs and see if you can thrown any light on them.

OK.  Been on cit for six months.  Started on 40mg once a day for two weeks or so, then she upped it to 80mg once day to date.  I felt the transition from 40 - 80, but this dose isnt working for me now.  

In fact, Ive been experiencing night sweats and Im post menopausal, nightmares, (or I would say more terrors than mares), twitching(!), increased swelling of ankles, but not so much weight gain, tiredness and lethargy.......thats a few of the symptoms I have.  I hope someone can put my mind at ease, and tell me that these nasty feelings, will go away eventually.I am also on a strong analgesia, and I think maybe its the pain relief and the cit that dont get on.  But I need my pain relief.

Im awake of a night, and most of the day too, and thats not the norm as I love my sleep!!

H.E.L.P!!!

• Posted

Hi Valerie

There's a book I also recommend buying too - it's called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray ........ it's a really interesting read about serotonin, 5-HTP, SSRI's, how the body/brain works with all these.

I took them every day throughout my time off Citalopram, and if I recall, I think it took a little while before I felt the benefit, but it wasn't as long as waiting for Citalopram to work.  Also there are no side effects, but I did get indigestion, but the l-tyrosine righted that for me.

Yes when you're starting to feel well, often you don't want to immersed in negative posts - completely understand that smile

Hope that helps confused

K x

• Posted

Hi Wendiwoo

Starting on 40mg is quite high for an initial dose, and I'm sure 40mg is the max dose on this meds.  The max dose used to be 60mg but new guidelines has reduced this to 40mg, so am surprised you've been on 80mg.  Perhaps speak to your doctor about it.  I'm not surprised you're feeling night terrors, twitching etc.

When you're recovering on these meds, it's not always straight forward.  Along the way you'll be up and down with your mood and often feel as if you're at the start again.  This is quite normal, even after months and months.  If you keep persevering though, you'll find eventually these down times will get less and you'll feel well all the time.

I'm not sure about a strong analgesic and Cit not getting on - your doctor or chemist should advise.  I would however talk to your doctor about the 80mg you're on as it could be the dose is too high?  

But yes, the nasty feelings do go away in time.

K x

• Posted

Yikes, I would get a talk to. Ur Doc right away about 80 mg. and if says to stay on that get a 2nd opinion! And a lot on meds. don't work together! I was taking med. for cancer and was put on sertraline and then Wellbutrin and both those shouldn't have been taken with the Tamoxifen(cancer med.) I even asked the pharmacist about interactions and he said it was fine to take together! Did checking on my own and asked my cancer Dr and they shouldn't be taken together! So I took the pharmacists word on it! Won't do that again! Now with the Internet u can check if Meds. Should be taken together, which is nice! I hope once u get the right medication everything will balance out and you will feel great and be happy😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.