Citalopram reassurance please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys, I was on citalopram 20mg for about 4 years and it worked really well untill a few months ago it just seemed to poop out on me. My depression came back and my anxiety was the worst it had been in a long time. My gp thought it would be good to add mirtazapine in with it to see if that helped, 8weeks of being on this caused me to have what I can only describe as a complete breakdown. So we stopped the mirt and upped my citalopram to 40mg.i have now been on 40mg for just over 3 weeks

I just was wandering if anyone had any experience or advise because I've had a few just OK days here and their but the past couple of days it seems that my anxiety is so bad again even though it calmed for a bit at 2 weeks. My gp gave me propranalol to take the edge off the anxiety but they just seem to make my mood even lower!

I'm starting to think that it's not going to work for me and honestly don't know how much longer I can keep fighting, but I'm just exhausted and don't know what to do x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Anybody? 😢

• Posted

couldnt read and run i am in same position as you just give it time pm me if you need suport x

• Posted

Thank you 😊 same goes for you too x let me know when u can how u are getting on x

• Posted

hi there

im sorry your strugling, ive been on 20 mg for 9 weeks & everybody keeps saying, 'just hang in there' , it takes time. I do know one thing that talking about it helps, there are some very exsperienced people on here that give great advice.

• Posted

Hi x I did reply but it hasn't show up for some reason? Wow 9 weeks? Have you had any improvements or noticed if they are working for you or not? Everyone on here does seem lovely and are all going through the same thing or something similar and it's nice to know that people are willing to help and give advice x

• Posted

hey

i have been on 40 for about 8 weeks now and finally feeling better!! i thought it would have an effect quicker but seemed to take a long while of feeling terribly low.

i hope it works out for you too!

dont give up!!x

• Posted

Thank you for replying x x it's so disheartening when you are told 4 weeks and haven't seen any change at all how long was it until you noticed a positive change in how you were? Was it drastic and you just felt better or did it happen slowly. Sorry for all the questions.

• Posted

I have been on citalopram for about 18 months started off low, and gradually increased. max dose for about 8 weeks now and only in the last 2 weeks feeling better. I am not skipping around laughing all day but i am better! It will be gradual, at least it was for me.

allow yourself to be happy

surround yourself with people and things that make u happy

best of luck!

• Posted

Thakn you so much for your kind words and support. It's nice to know that even when people are struggling themselves they are still willing to help and give reassurance. It makes everything that little bit easier. I'm glad that you are starting to feel a little better and are seeing some progress and hopefully will be doing even better soon! I'm going to keep going and hope I see some positive changes soon. Thank you again and everyone else who has given me advice. 😊

• Posted

HI

sorry you are struggling. I was on setraline for 20 years and then anxiety started to come back. Changed to citalopram 10 mg and have been on this for 14 weeks. Have had just a few good days and nights but also horrendous ones and just coming out of a four day blip. It really does seem by all who post on this forum that it can take ages to have full effect and takes months rather than weeks. It is awful when you start to feel better and then seem to go backwards - so disheartening and as you say exhausting. I agree about propranalol as doesnt do much for me as I dont get palpitations etc just feel crap and anxious. I have a few low dose valium Dr gave me to take edge off when I am really bad - it may be worth asking if you can have some of these prescribed as long as you dont start to take regularly just when you are very very anxious. I would try and hang in there. Kind regards.

• Posted

Hi x thank just you for replying. I'm sorry to hear that u had a blip. They are so horrible and make you think the worst, hopefully you are coming out the other side now and things will start looking up for you hopefully. Have you considered going up to 20mg of citalopram and see if that helps with the anxiety? I have a few diazipam but not a lot so I don't want to take them because my gp doesn't like subscribing them. I'll save them for emergencies.

• Posted

Also. I how did you find switching from one to the other? X

• Posted

HI I switched straight from setraline to citalapram which I think is also causing problems. Dont want to increase dosage as I couldnt face those initial side effects again. I know what you mean about Doctors prescribing diazepam so you hang on until you feel absolutely desperate. I just wish they could get an idea of how we are feeling. Really hope you are feeling a little better today.

• Posted

Wow a straight switch? That sounds pretty scary tbh especially after 20 years! I've heard some real horror stories about people switching. Yeah I understand not wanting to up a dose it's horrible having all the side effects again isn't it. I never had side effects when I started citalopram that I can remember but going from 20mg to 40mg was tough still suffering some side effects now! Oh I just want to feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.