citalopram side effects?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im seeking some reassurance from people who have used this.

I have been taking 10 mg for 3 weeks tomorrow and have been experiencing side effects. One of them being aches and pains/ joint pain. Im really hoping that somebody has experienced this and can reassure me that it will go. Im due to increase it to 20 mg in a weeks time and wondering whether I should!

Thanks to anybody that replies

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Aches and pains are quite common Alison. I got them in my neck and shoulder,bottom of my back and headaches. They did subside in time. If the Cit seems to be helping your depression/anxiety then I think it's worth sticking with. 20mg is from what I've heard is when it starts to really make a difference to how you feel so don't be too worried about the side effects. 

The increase may also bring these side effects back for a while also. It's the same with most meds.

i was on Cit many years ago and it was great for me once they kicked in. This time I started on them and had to change after 8 weeks on to another medication. I think it's all down to the person themselves and there symptoms that determines which medication is best xxxx

• Posted

Hi Alison.  Some people do experience side effects although not all and the side effects vary from person to person.  Mostly they start to subside fairly quickly and usually dont last longer than around 4 - 6 weeks.  Upping your dose may bring them back for a while but to be honest unless you have an allergic reaction to cit, which some unfortunately do (including myself), the side effects are no worse than mild flu symptoms and will definitely disappear in time..  As Gillian says it worth it once they start to work on your worry and anxiety.  Please stick with your doctor's recommendation on doses, everyone is different and what is best for you will be determined by your doctor's knowledge of your health etc.  
  • Posted

Im not sure I will increase until these sideceffects have lessened.... Is it normal for side effects to last 4-6 weeks then??
    • Posted

They can. It's different with each person. I think for you it's best to weigh up the pros and cons and if it's worth you staying on them or trying something else.

The side effects can be very bothersome but it's very rare they last. It can just be so frustrating waiting for the meds to work aswell having to suffer with side effects.

Are you feeling better mentally/emotionally since taking them or are you not feeling much difference?xx

• Posted

I have weaned off of amitriptyline and finished those 2 nights ago aswell as starting the citalopram 20 days ago. I am sensitive to most meds. I was really hoping this one would be Ok. I have stopped being so tearful but my lack of motivation has got worse
    • Posted

There's still time Alison and you could be feeling a little worse these last few days because your body is withdrawing from Amitripyline. Citalopram worked great for me many years ago...20 days is early days as I'm sure you know already. 

I tried Cit again this time but it didn't suit my symptoms so had to change.

Maybe give them a while longer and then decide. It's awful keep having to change though isn't it and start the whole process from scratch smile xx

• Posted

Yes gillian its terrible when you already feel so bad. I was actually thinking maybe I have withdrawal symptoms too. I had been taking 75mg amitriptyline but had to reduce to 60 mg as I couldn't tolerate side effects. I had been on it at various doses for 8 months and came off of 50 mg in almost 4 weeks. So im guessing I will prob get some withdrawal and today has been the worst for the aches and pains everywhere!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.