Citalopram side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was prescribed Citalopram for 4 weeks only, I have been feeling very low and having anxiety attacks, nausea my GP suggested that these may help me. However, after taking the first 20 mg dosage yesterday I felt trembly after 3 hours, later on in the evening I had a weird sensation of solid heat coming up my body. Shortly after this I had to dash to the loo with a \"tummy upset\"!I have felt low all day today and only got out of bed after 6, so I'm a bit reluctant to take any more of the Cit and didn't take the tablet this morning after the horrible side effects yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, many of us will have had effects like yours. And not only with citalopram - they are common to many SSRis and you are quite lucky if you don't get any. Your GP should have told you that the beneficial effects may not emerge until two to four weeks after starting, a time when you should certainly have a review. They are worth waiting for providing you can get through the initial period. Talk to you GP about really bad side effects - there is often some thing that can be done to alleviate them. Good luck.
  • Posted

Homelovinggirl31

The symptoms you describe are extremely common when starting on this drug.

You may want to think about building up to the 20mg dose, perhaps just take 10mg at night for a week while your system gets used to the drug.

Your GP should have asked you to book a follow up appointment to see how you are coping with Citalopram in any event. Why not give him/her a call, explain what happened and see what he/she thinks? Everyone responds differently to these drugs and there really is no substitute for informed medical opinion.

Remember also that these can take a while before you start to feel any positive benefit so give them a fair chance. But if ultimately they don't work for you, there are other Antidepressants you can try.

Good luck and best regards.

• Posted

:? i also had those symptoms, im now into my course of 20mg for 11 days and they die down as time goes on.

i still get panic attacks and feel down. im still getting the dark toughts but im hoping that they will go soon :?

• Posted

forgot to add does anyone get numbness in their ears that comes and goes and pain in their necks im starting to get concerned about it now. im seeing the doc on monday so i will bring it up ?
  • Posted

Hi Homelovingirl31,

Like all the others have said, the side effects are fairly common but if they become troublesome talk to your GP.

Did they really say for 4 weeks only?? Or do you mean you have been on them for 4 weeks?

I only ask as most people don't see any real benefits for about 4-6 weeks of taking Cit and then my psyc said he will keep me on them for about 6 months to one year of having no serious periods of depression..

Take care and hope the side effects are wearing off now..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.