Citalopram side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Due to panic attacks after a mild stroke, I am presccribed Citalopram 20mg. First three mornings Ok.. fourth morning (and day) I keep getting cold shudders throughout all my body & legs. start shaking.. I feel faint (but don't) and very frightened. Is this normal.. please tell me if you have felt the same. Peter411

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi peter

Yes this is very normal it's part of the side effects but keep going as they do pass after a few days .

Hope your feeling better soon

Debi x

• Posted

Thank you Debi.. relieved to hear that.. it has been a scary day xx
    • Posted

Hi Peter

Yes I was scared that I was going to feel like that forever but it does pass .

You just need to go with it and let the side effects come but they do pass as quick as they come.

I post on here every day for support and it really help me .., keep posting! If you are feeling like I did I thought I was the only one in the world this was happening too.... But there are others your not alone .

Debi x

• Posted

Thanks Debi.. I have had about eight bouts so far today (now 7pm). It was frightening as I thought I was having another stroke... then I realised sensation was to both my arms, both legs,, and to both sides of my body. And the FACE tests were negatiive. The 'attacks' lasted for about 2-5 minutes.. but I was nervously shaking for ages afterwards. Thanks for your very valuable help... Peter xx
  • Posted

Very normal peter and they will subside. I do two things. One is have a drink of ice cold water to distract me. The other is to use a hanky with lavender oil. I find the smell relaxing.

​Oh, and sometimes I do a little jig like a boxer, moving my arms and legs. Shaking them out to release the tension.

• Posted

Thanks Alan.. my 'attacks' still happening today.. but have turned into a hot/burung sensation.. seems to run through my body.. but for only a couple of mimues. I have found taking deep breaths does seem to help a little.. they often happen when I am sitting or relaxing.. even in bed !!  Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.