Citalopram side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed Citalopram for stress and insomnia. Not depression.

My dose started at 20mg, then it was upped to 30 and I am now on 40mg a day.

I am still having trouble sleeping even after 3 months, but instead of being awake most of the night, every night I am having the occational sleepless night and generally wake up once a night every night.

But I am suffering with nausea, headaches, heart palpitasions, vommiting, and last week passed out and ended up in A&E. My Dr has referred me for a 24hr ECG and bloodpressure test. I have asked my GP if it can be the Citalopram as I only had issues sleeping with a stressful job before. Now I feel like I am falling apart.I have been told I need to stick with the 40mg a day for now, but I feel like it is starting to affect my work, and to be honest I don't feel like doing much in the evenings now as I am not feeling well.

Has anyone had any similar experiences on Citalopram? I have almost completed 3 months now.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I am on day 2 of citalopram after my GP prescribed it to me for insomnia.

I have had two restless nights - but I can't tell if it's the pill that's doing this or just my existing insomnia.

Did it help you sleep? I have been going to bed around 10pm but unable to get off until 1pm ;(

I'm losing the will to live

• Posted

It has helped me to sleep, but I wake up between 2-4 most nights, then I struggle to go back to bed again. This morning I gave up at 4.45 I am rarely at sleep before midnight, most nights closer to 12.30-1am.

They took a while to kick in for me though, and the constant nausea is driving me slightly crazy.

• Posted

I might try taking them at 7pm as apparently th effects peak after 4 hours - hopefully this will make me sleepy at 11 as I've been struggling to get off to sleep (even before the tabs)

Hope it cures us in the long run

• Posted

It peaks after 4 hours? I wish it would at least make me stay asleep when I finally fall asleep. At least if I was not yawning all day long, wishing I was back in my bed, it would be more bearable.
  • Posted

I have had 3 weeks citalopram 10mg and 4.5 wks 20mg.

Didn't have insomnia until I started taking them and haven't had a good night's sleep since. I take it at 9pm ish and can wake up 6/7 times on a bad night . Had some better nights recently but still awake 3-4 times . Most nights I can get back to sleep but it's very hit and miss and sometimes only get 3-4 hrs sleep..

Im trying to persevere on 20mg. Anxiety/ jittery feelings still there on a morning but usually at lowish level and nausea variable but manageable.

Find the thoughts of going back to work stressful in itself as I'm so tired. I'm just hoping it's all just the settling in period. I am better in myself but any stress soon brings on the anxiety.

• Posted

My GP started me straigh on 20mg and have upped my dose by 10mg every 4 weeks, I have not really noticed much of an improvent since my dose went up, apart from side effects, no energy, tired, and needing to throw up on a frequent basis when the nausea goes from bad to worse.

This is now stressing me out.

• Posted

I have just seen ny psychiatrist.

After being on cit for just over 12 weeks. 1 week on 10, 1 week on 20, 6 weeks on 30 and just over 4 weeks on 40 she has said to reduce back to 30 as feel so terrible. She thinks 40 may be too much for me.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

• Posted

Hi EK, how long have you been on citalopram and what dose are you on now? It's a very stressful experience so let's hope it's worth it x

• Posted

Hi Gerrymoo,

I started off 4 weeks on Amitiptyline 10mg

Then 4 weeks on Citalopram 20mg

Then 4 weeks on Citalopram 30mg

Then 3 1/2 weeks on Citalopram 40mg so far.

The last week I have also been on acid reflux meds to see if that lessons some of my symptoms (I have never before suffered with acid reflux btw) Passed out once, and vomitting several times a week, after getting intense nausea. My GP seems unwilling to consider changing my dose or putting me on something else till after I have had my 24hr cardiogram and blood pressure monitoring, so I feel like I am stuck between the wood and the bark whilst feeling really lousy.

I am at the stage now, where I almost want my insomnia back.

• Posted

My GP did say that 40mg might be too strong for some, but will not consider reducing my dose yet, untill I have had my cardiogram, as I passed out last week. Said she wanted no changes till we get the readings back.
  • Posted

Hi

Did it get worse when you went to 40?

I have felt dreadful since going to 40. Different symptoms but worse than I ve ever felt.

How long have you been at 40 ?

• Posted

3.5 weeks on 40mg and I feel dreadful. First week I was an emotional mess, and a walking zombie, then the rest of the side effects hit me, I am vomiting frequently, heart races every night, unbearable nausea. Dizzy. My IBS have flared up again, so no constipation, more like butt p*ss (excuse my language, it is pretty dreadful, and my butt is sore) Passed out once, and headaches.
    • Posted

I dropped to 30 today. So will see if that helps. I really hope it does.
    • Posted

I am back at my doctor on Friday and work has referred me to occupational therapy so seeing one of their nurses on Tuesday, so crossing my fingers between them, that they will sort me out.

I hope you'll start feeling better soon now that you are on a lower dose. I know how terrible these side effects can be.

• Posted

Talking to a third party nurse to ensure work stress or over medication is not making me feel worse, and giving recommendations of how work is affecting me to ensure they do what is needed to support me to get better quicker.

I have already been promised some short term help to alleviate some of the stress. My job can be very demanding and stressful, lots of deadlines, less and less manpower doing more and more work.

I don't know what 9-5 feels like.

• Posted

That sounds like it will be a positive move. I'm seeing occupational health too next week but up till now work have been brilliant. Had a fair bit of time off sick and just want to get back to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.