Citalopram side effects normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I have been on citalopram for 22 days now. not that I'm counting. I feel awful. my anxiety is through the roof. I have a constant tension headache I cant seem to shift. I have zero energy. I have a little boy so it makes it all harder. the main reason for me taking them is for health anxiety so with all these side effects its making me worse. had anyone else had the same and when is it normal to feel any better?! thanks in advance.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise/the medication takes about 8/10 weeks to adjust in your body ,so 22 days isnot enough for the side effgecks to go.

• Posted

thank you. I dont want to stop taking them as I've already started and it look me alot to even take something in the first place. hopefully see a difference in another few weeks.

• Posted

hi Louise I'm on my 9th week on 20mg for the second time. I'm just starting to have some good days now. I had some rubbish sideaffects for the first few weeks but they're starting to ease off now. Hang in there you'll start to feel the benifits soon. Paul

• Posted

thanks paul. it's hard going. today isnt a good day. my anxiety has been through the roof and had a few panic attack moments too. did u just all of a sudden start noticing a difference?

• Posted

Hi Louise i started getting the odd good day after 4 weeks. When you first start on the cit it's like a emotional roller coaster for a few weeks but it does get better. Just try to remember all the bad stuff you feel is part of the meds working into your system. Really hope you start feeling better soon. Take care and remember you're not alone. Paul.

• Posted

hi Paul Im on 7 weeks on 20 second time. was feeling a bit better then had a terrible week this again with lots of tears, insomnia, anxiety and depression. psych doc wants me to go up to 30 but do you reck too soon if youre just feeing better at 9 weeks? physical anxiety is better but still have all the worrying thoughts and catastrophising etc

• Posted

Hi Tamsin I'm had sleep problems up until the 8th week. I was wakng up at 3:30 am every night and couldn't get back to sleep. The last few nights though Ive been sleeping right through to my alarm in the morning and this has improved my anxiety. I just hope this is the start of recovery. I can't advise you what to do about increasing your dose but in my humble opinion I'd hang on for a couple more weeks and see what happens. Good luck and I hope you feel like yourself again soon. Paul

• Posted

hi louise i was the same as you though on them second time. First time things got better after 2 weeks. this time things started to improve after about 4 on 20. i also have health anxiety and it made it much worse for me too. Hang in there - you will have lots of strange sensations. just focus on the fact that they are all either synptoms of anxiety or side effects of the meds and they will go away. ask questions on here, dont google it just makes everything worse. we are here for you xx

• Posted

aww thanks tamsin. healthy anxiety has been so bad since I had my little boy and every ache it pain I get I'm sure it's something serious. I'm trying to stay off Google. I've even paid private for hypnotherapy and also done a course on cbt. none of which have really helped so hoping these tablets really do make a difference soon. only joined this page today after googling so much and always coming across this page.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.