Citalopram. Stick with it!!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I have joined this after reading the numerous messages from people experiencing acute depression and anxiety. I am 47 now and have had a number of episodes over the last 22 years, mainly brought on by life events. It is a bit of a black dog which sits with you once you have experienced it but you can have a full life despite this. 11 days ago I was put back on 20mg Citalopram due to a number of challenging life circumstances which completely caught up with me and knocked me for six. Most posts talk about the pain of the first 2 weeks of going on the medication.  Having been on it a number of times, along with Fluroxetine and Seroxat, I can concur that the first 2 weeks can be a real challenge but please don't give up!!!  The side effects do pass. Be gentle on yourself, get support and know that some of the desperation feelings will pass. You have just gotta get through those first couple of weeks and then hour by hour, day by day you will begin to do more.  If like me, the mornings are the worst, note after 2 weeks how the afternoons get a bit better earlier and earlier. Week 1, I could not function until about 5pm. 11 days in it is now about 2pm and I can start to function. I know from previous experience the benefits start to accelerate from week 2. If you can, make a list of things to do each day. Even if you only do 1 thing, congratulate yourself. Even brushing your teeth can be an achievement. Be easy on yourself. 1 in 4 people will go through this at some point in their lives.  You are not alone. You are probably a very strong caring person if you are suffering. There is a great book called 'Depression, and illness of the strong'. Highly recommend it.  So if you are suffering and just starting on meds, go with it, be easy on yourself, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep your health professional up to date. You are not alone !!!!

5 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Great post...I posted 2 weeks ago 'feel like im going crazy!!!' After upping my citalopram to 20 mg but now I feel so much better then I did, I am still very anxious in the morning but it gets better, I take my 6 year old to the park everyday and 2 weeks ago it was unbearable but now I can sit for hours just watching him play...so I agree with you...stick with it! 😊😊😊😊

• Posted

Very comforting reading this thank you, I started on 10, 6 weeks later 20, 3 months later 30, been on this for 3 months and feel alot better, still a bit anxious but I'm handling it, still having slight muscle pains around my stomach and back but tolerable, slightly strange sensations in my eyes but nothing like it was when I started cit, I had a very bad time first 2 weeks , panic attacks, heightened anxiety, face twitching, stomach pain, paranoid, brain zaps, depression which I never experienced because I went on citalopram because I had health anxiety, pain in my side which I thought was cancer, hernia or an ulcer, doctors told me it was none of these but I wouldn't listen, just got worse, now I'm back to myself, hang in there it does work different for some, might take a little longer for others, thank you

• Posted

Chris00000, Sounds like you have described my first 2 weeks on citalopram 20mg.  I also get the hot flushing, nausea, and dizziness symptom cluster then headache.  But that lets me know the citalopram is working.  smile  In not a very nice way!

I'm on citalopram 20mg. for 3 weeks now.  Hoping it will start evening out soon.

I came off of it recently and had to go back on.  

• Posted

Wow that's exactly how I felt ....now I'm better....thank goodness....

• Posted

Keep at it Laura, it'll take time but it's worth it when it evens out, I didn't have nausea but had headaches and dizziness also, this is such a slow working srri med, but when it kicks in you'll get a feeling of looking forward to things and not worrying so much about problems in your life, it's nice to have a site like this for people who suffer these horrible illnesses to share their stories and give hope and encouragement to all, it gets better xx

• Posted

Great words of encouragement Standup.  I agree that the life events can knock you back again. We never know the curve ball life has ahead of us but it's good that people like you give a light to shine on it.

• Posted

Stand up,  thank you for the encouragement.  Much needed and appreciated.
    • Posted

Well done all of you. The side effects I have are definitely increased anxiety about everything, yawning and constantly feeling tired. Also lost all my appetite.  Now on day 12 and was up and about at 9am. 5/10 anxiety which is the best day so far. Also managed to eat a banana which I highly recommend as they have natural serotonin in them. Really nice to see some success stories which is really encouraging. For anyone else just starting on this stuff, take heart from these stories. Life can return to normal given a bit of time, support and gentleness. Some may feel a bit of a stigma being on these meds. If you were diabetic, you would need insulin every day and no one would bat an eye lid. This is no different. We just need to build up our serotonin levels again which takes a but of time. Keep at it, don't give up and trust that the initial side effects will subside.  Looking forward to day 13 and onwards !!

• Posted

laura, I agree with you.  Sometimes when I'm dizzy or not feeling myself I think there's a little guy in dungarees climbing a ladder with little lights to plug into the brain to get the job done I like him but he gets very tired going up and down trying to fill all the holes with little lights so I have to be patient...lol.  I've had moments sitting watching tv and all of a sudden my head will just droop down like 'something's going on here' just have to wait it out. I have actually noticed in one day a significant change and others days, seems nothing is happening.  Bless you all. We go through much for our mental health. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.