Citalopram, Sweating, & Coffee

Posted , 13 users are following.

After a couple of life changing events over the past couple years caused me to suffer from anxiety and mild depression my doctor and I decided back in January that it was time for Citalopram. After getting past most of the initial side effects and a dosage increase things finally evened out and I began to feel better emotionally. However there are still a couple lingering side effects the worst being increased sweating which I was fine living with in exchange for feeling stable emotionally. This morning it occured to me that the worst of the sweating starts shortly after I have my morning cup of coffee and continues for about 2 hours then comes back down to something I would call more tolerable. The same thing happens after my evening cup of coffee as well but sometimes doesn't last as long. Could there be some connection?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

yeah I have this to.  I've cut down on the caffeine quite a bit but still love coffee although I'm sensitive to it at times. 

• Posted

I switched to decaf everything since feeling so anxious and starting citalopram. I often found caffeine did not help anxiety at all. Try decaf and update us as to how you get on x
  • Posted

Hi I'm new here, I came across your post when I googled 'citalopram sweating' lol!!  I have been on 40mg for about 14 years.  I have horrendous sweating which seems to be getting worse, I was starting to think I might be peri menopausal but wondered whether it could be the citalopram.  So you are not alone!  I also drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day which may not help matters? .. 

• Posted

I’m 72 yrs old and was having bad sweating all time.  When younger I never sweated. I had a partial hysterectomy at 32.  But in the last 3 years I sweat more and more.  I’ve been on Celexa for several years for depression but recently talked my regular md into giving me a low dose hormone. He said the Celexa was one that the Med book said was good for change of life. He put me on 40 mg and I stay miserable sweating all time to the point my hair drips water. 
  • Posted

It’s a well known fact that anxiety and caffeine do not mix well. Try to cut it out of your diet altogether normal coke, coffee and tea. And even that artificial sweetener aspartime is an enemy found in most diet drinks.  I have the odd decaf coffee and decaf tea now. You soon get used to it as it’s still a nice drink.  I’m a little shakey this morning, annoyingly! Mostly I just drink water these days.... 
  • Posted

I also avoid caffeine mainly, had some Sunday and I felt awful.

I get the sweating at the moment too. Mainly at night time I feel so hot it’s strange.

• Posted

De caffeinated coffee still has two percent caffeine ..it will get rid off caffeine cravings without the anxiety..so I say yes to decaffeinated coffee..
  • Posted

I take celexa. I sweat like I've run a 5k if it's the slightest bit humid out. I'm talking shirt soaked! Just standing there! I do drink a lot of coffee too.

• Posted

Hi, im so glad I came across this . I am glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this uncontrollable sweat problem. I started 20mg Celexa 2 months ago and increased mg to 30mg about 1 month ago. These episodes of sweating just happen random times throughout the day. I thought maybe it's just hormonal after 3 kids my youngest being a toddler maybe Its just hormonal! After starting the meds it is unreal how much I sweat now. I knew it had to be the Celexa so I started to research side of effects. I came across this in hope there may be a solution to how to get some control over it. I do drink coffee everyday. I read above that caffeine may play a part to this. Only I don't start sweating until hours after my morning coffee mostly in the afternoon or evening . I don't want to stop or change my medication . Any suggestions to other ways that might help this embarrassing issue I would LOVE to know . Hopefully there is help for us all with this. Take care and thank you!

• Posted

Hi, yes it has to be a side effect of Citalopram.

Day 3 of taking Citalopram, today I have noticed unexpected sweating (under my armpits) the sweat was dripping (I wasn't feeling hot, actually it is quite cold today). I am a sporty person and I never sweat like that not even after running. It happened just after having my green tea in the morning (probably because it's a hot drink). Then the sweating stopped.

As you say, it is not a big deal. I hope this is the only side effect I have.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Ellen,

I don't drink coffee or much of any caffeine for that matter, but I have experienced increased sweating since day one. Thursday will mark 11 weeks for me since starting 20mg. I wouldn't say I sweat more throughout the entire day, but just occasionally I get the sweats during the day and then at night in bed it's not uncommon to wake up sweating pretty heavily. It's my understanding this is a fairly common normal side effect of the med. Whether or not it eases up is yet to be seen for me.

Best regards,

Randall

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.