Citalopram - Take 5 or maybe 6, advice needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, just found this forum and read through quite a few posts and i'm just looking for some reasurrance i guess. You think i'd be an expert after so many times on the stuff but when you are in the middle of it all then all the old fears come back.

Started cit again recently, my doc precribed me 20mg but knowing how brutal that can be i decided to do 10mg for 6 days then went to 15mg for 3 days then upped to 20mg 3 dys ago, so 12 days in total. Still suffering with the heightened anxiety and horrible feeling in my tummy and definitly not sleeping... All the old fears like they won't work this time and my mind never seems to stop. 

Can anyone advise if they have experienced this or maybe give me a bit of experience please? 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ive never taken Cita before but have been on fluoxetine.

Dr prescribed me Cita and ive been taking 10mg for 3 weeks. It made my anxiety ten times worst for the first two weeks to the point I was agoraphobic and couldn't leave the house. Now 3 weeks in I feel like it's actually helping me. I know longer feel like my brains on overdrive.

Maybe Cuz u have increased the dose it's just gonna take a while as everytime u increase it it's affecting msgs sent to your brain. Give it time to level out and you'll b fine hun.

Before I took it I had a panic attack Prob once a week and for those first two weeks I was having them about 4 times a day and waking in the night with them and in a hot sweat.

Don't know if this helps but your not alone xx

• Posted

Thanks Jess... I know it's most likely the side effects but when you are suffering increased anxiety for an anxiety disorder it's very difficult to see a way out, you just want some relief. I've never started out by going up that quick, always on 10mg for at least 3 weeks or straight on 20 and i've usually levelled out a bit by now but as you say i have been increasing them which is most likely keeping the side effects going. Wish i knew that for sure though, just so worried they are not going to work this time, i must stop reading stories about people on them more than once x
    • Posted

Yeh Google doesn't help at all.

I got to the point where I questioned taking them as they seemed to make everything so much worse but the worry is just the tablets taking affect. Just bare with it.

It is true that they cause anxiety to treat it, almost like they have to increase your anxiety to a level where they will be able to help it.

U will b fine hun, just remember anxiety is all in the mind. I walked around feeling like I was going to wet myself and one day I stood in tesco and thought what the hell, and relaxed, I thought of im gonna wee myself then let it happen, and it didn't xx

• Posted

Hi Lovely Gem I have been on them for about 2 years, However I am on 40gms.  No I would doubt any of us would be an expert even the shrinks, because we are PEOPLE not machines, No two people sre the same.  I believe the meds are not a cure, they help YOU to manage the situation. All I can say is when the black dog ((as Churchill used to say)) attackes lie down, listen to some soothing music get your partner to hold you. It does go it will come back. dont try and stop the horrors just divert them.  They can not penetrate the barrier of love.
  • Posted

Thanks again Jess, you've really helped me, just wish i could get through this settling in period and the tablets would start to work so i can help myself a bit more. Just had to go lie down for an hour as it was that bad xx
  • Posted

This is so familiar. Been on 20 mg cit for 4 weeks now. Brutal. Havnt been able to work. Prolly gonna lose a job of 10 years. Jem i hope you find your way. Stay super strong.
  • Posted

Hi Jem

Ive taken these for many, many years and came off them over a year ago.  I managed white well but restarted them last August due to the stress of family illness - I ended to be well to cope with it all.

Going back on the meds at 20mg all my old fears came flooding back, and that little negative voice appeared again telling me they won't work this time, I'm doomed etc etc.  When you're in the grip of it all it seems endless and there's no way out ..... then when you're better it all seems such a distant memory.

My reintroduction of the meds hit me hard - not sure if I'd forgotten what the side effects were like or they were just more severe.  The anxiety was horrendous and I had to get up one morning at 5am and just pace up and down.  As the months went by I got better and better and am now back to feeling on top.  Looking back I can see it all clearly, but when I was in the midst of it all I couldn't see any way out.

12 days in is very early still.  You're experiencing the side effects at the moment.  Try and say to yourself that it WILL get better, you know it will.  Patience and perseverance, accept whatever the meds throw at you for the time being, but remember you are recovering, as you would from any illness.

K x

• Posted

Excuse the typos smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.