Citalopram teeth chattering jaw clenching teeth ache

Posted , 4 users are following.

Iv been on citalopram 10mg for 2 weeks.

Iv started getting really bad teeth chattering and jaw aches.

Should I stop taking the medication and ask my dr for a new antidepressant or should I increase the dose to 20mg?

I was prescribed citalopram for anxiety.

I didn't have any physical symptoms of teeth chattering prior to taking cit.

Please advise ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi adam hang in there the medication will work it takes more that two weeks but there are side effects to meds i have a lot of side effects with my meds like my stomach issues 

All meds will give some side effects wait and see if it is still bothering you in another two weeks than talk to your doctor 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your reply.

The problem I have is, my teeth are really aching.

My dentist said 7 days for a custom made mouth guard.

Stopping myself from clenching Iv somehow cut the inside of my cheeks which is causing bleeding. I'm really confused , I don't know what to do . Should I use the benzos for a few days which are only suppose to be used in emergencys

• Posted

I would talk to your doctor about this you may need a new antidepressant then i am on ativan generic lorazepam for my anxieties if you really need the benzos use them until you can switch to a new antidepressant 
    • Posted

Adam don't get discouraged.  Medications can take  4 weeks to start working as medication has to build up in your system. 6-8 weeks before it may work fully.  Hang in there. If you still having issues in month or so, follow up with your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

What antidepressant do you take?

How long have you been taking it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.