Citalopram time to kick in

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on Ciralopram for around 3 weeks. Been on 30mg for 1 week. Does it take a while to feel the effect ? I've been prescribed them for anxiety and also depression. Will I feel more relaxed ? Just wondering how I will feel on them. Any advice or help would be very much appreciated. 

James. 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jimmy

Give it about 4-6 weeks before you will see the real effects kick in. You will probably feel better before that but it does take a bit longer before you feel the knot in your stomach disappear, and then your spirit will start to lift and everything won't feel such a burden. You might also want to consider some sort of CBT or other therapy because the two things together (tablets and therapy) are very effective. Once you do feel better, stay on the tablets for at least a year or two (your doctor will advise you on this) as it is not good to stop and start. All the best. 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne.

Many thanks for getting back to me. Very much appreciated. I'm having CBT aswell as meds so hopefully both will help together as you said. I think my dose of citalopram is going up to 40mg in a couple of weeks aswell. Many thanks again. 

• Posted

Good to know you are feeling better, howevr it takes 4 to 6 weeks for it to fully kick in but you will notice you feel better every week, citalprom has done wonders for me l am also on 40 mg and l have nevr been so happy goodluck.
    • Posted

Hi Richard. Thanks for your help.i haven't noticed much improvement yet, but hopefully will soon. I've had windows of feeling better and hopefully that will get better and better. How long was it before it kicked in for yourself ? Do you just feel more relaxed when it starts working ? I'm not sure what to expect. 
    • Posted

You start feeling happy like u have heard a bit of alcohol, you will no longer he scared, u will be happy alone and won't have to rely on others to make u happy, u also start noticing how long u have been depressed for, for me no money can buy the difference citalprom has done for me, how long have you been depressed for l had been depressed for 20 years but didn't know l was depressed until l attempted suicide, cheers l am here anytime you want to chat.
    • Posted

That's great that it's helped you so much. I hope it does the same for me. I've only been diagnosed within the last month or so but have been suffering from it for about a year I reckon. I've got chronic pain in my legs also but the psychiatrist feels that it is caused by the depression. I didn't realise that depression can manifest itself as physical pain. Was it between 6-8 weeks for yourself before you noticed the difference ? 
    • Posted

For me from week 1 l could feel the difference, but it kept getting better and better every 2 weeks, you will feel it do not worry.
    • Posted

That's good to know. Appreciate your advice Richard. Many thanks. 
  • Posted

I JUST HOPE THE DOCTOR KEEPS ME OFF IT. I DON'T WANT TO BE THAT SICK AGAIN.
  • Posted

Hi hope your keeping well!

I just started citalopram about to have the third dose! So frightening at times I'm up and down had a panic attack at 4.30 this morning! I am so shivery and cold! How long for these side effects to leave?

Tia 

Emz

• Posted

Hi Emz,

My side effects started to go between 1-2 weeks but everyone is different. I felt similar to what you did but the worst is when you first begin as your body is adjusting to the meds. The good effect hasn't kicked in for me yet but I've been told it can take anywhere up to 6-8 weeks to get the full benefit. Again, this can be shorter or longer depending on the individual. Hope this helped a little bit. 😊

Jimmy. 

• Posted

Just to add. It can make your anxiety worse before it gets better. A lot of people on here said they experienced that. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply jimmy

Yes I have increased anxiety sitting now all jittery and nauseated grrrr wish they would kick in already! Thank you again! 

Currently trying to have a bowl of cereal! 

Emz! 

• Posted

I found that ginger tea with honey is good for the nausea. Really helped me. A ginger biscuit with it is always good aswell. 😀
    • Posted

Sounds good jimmy!! Must try that! 

Thanks and hope your well 

Emz 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.