Citalopram, time to take.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All. I’ve been on citalopram for a month now, at first the side effects were so bad I reduced my dose to 5mg from a prescribed 10mg. I’m now back to 10mg after raising to 7.5mg (so to keep very gradual). 

I’m still waking in the middle of the night with horrible anxiety mental and physical. I’ve been taking before I go to bed at 10pm but am wondering should I take first thing instead? And if so do I need to some how do this gradually? Any advice would be gratefully received. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I went from 20-40 now on day 13 still very tired but all the other nasty side effects have gone, for the first 5 days I had trouble sleeping but now I could sleep for England lol,, I take mine in the morning as soon as I wake up and normally relaxed by 3, but as the days are passing I'm waking up wide awake after 9hrs of sleep but tired again around 12pm , I've been here before and know it gets better it just takes time

• Posted

Have heard that these pills either help you sleep or prevent it so maybe you need to get something from dr to help you sleep just for the next week or so while you change them around.  Someone suggested yoga helps too... I take them in the mornings yes think you may need to do them gradually. Good luck
    • Posted

At first for a lot of people they can play havoc with your sleep, but this does pass eventually and sleep becomes good again.
  • Posted

After a month it is normal to still be having intense anxiety for me I take mine in the morning and the mornings were almost unbearable until about 7 weeks. It will get better and if you keep that in mind it may make it easier to get through those rough times. If you can keep a daily journal it helps to get your thoughts and fears down on paper then you can look back and see how much progress you've made as well.

• Posted

A daily journal is  an excellent idea wish I had thought of that earlier but will still start on week 4
    • Posted

My anxiety has not got any better yet, im only on a low dose of 10mg and been on it nearly3 weeks
    • Posted

Oh man at 3 weeks in I was at an all time low! You will feel so much better, but it may take another 2 months or so to feel a big difference or could be as soon as few weeks.
    • Posted

really? I was really hoping that I may notice something by now.. I get upset when I see the empty foil slots on my packet of citalopram, I think ‘ I’ve had so many of these but yet still feel the same!’
    • Posted

These are a low working medication when using for anxiety. Psychiatrist told me that for depression they work much faster.
    • Posted

Yeah, the first month is hard, I'm at day 43 feeling a little brighter but tiredness is still an issue. I'm not as tired as I was though.

• Posted

Most Doctors say take in the AM, when they are fully working you can take them anytime as all the side effects are gone and your body is used to it.
  • Posted

Most Doctors say take in the AM, when they are fully working you can take them anytime as all the side effects are gone and your body is used to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.