citalopram to sertraline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks, been on citalopram for 8 years now, apart from a brief time on miratzipine 3 month last October to start of January, then back on Cit since, however the mood has never really lifted 5 out of 10 at best and the last 2 weeks more like 3 out of 10. So been back at the docs and switching to sertraline 50mg then a 100mg after 2 weeks, has anyone done this swap, and were there side effects, when I swapped from cit to miratzipine last year there was little anxiety but nothing major, the miratzipine made me angry so had to come off it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick

I have done that swap with no additional side effects.  Both drugs are SSRIs so work in the same way.  (Mirtazapine is different).  I did the swap hoping sertraline would not cause insomnia as citalopram did - but it was no different.  I am still on the sert (100mg) but take a low dose of mirt (15mg) with it to counter the insomnia.  That works well. 

• Posted

How did you do the change over, I was on 20mg Citalopram I'v cut down to 10mg for 7 days.

Then if I have no side effects no Cit for a week or every other day if I do get withdrawls, then onto 50mg sertraline, and up to 100mg

• Posted

I seem to remember I did the whole swap in about 2 weeks.  It is better to make lots of small changes rather than a few bigger ones, eg take 10mg citalopram every other day rather than stopping it.  You should not have any trouble as both drugs work the same way.
    • Posted

No.  It was the low dose of mirtazapine which made the difference.  Both the cit and the sert stopped me sleeping.  The mirt countered that.      

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.