Citalopram to setraline

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on 20mg of citalopram for about 8months my husband and I want to start trying for a 2 nd baby so my doctors wants me to change to 25mg of setraline, has anyone else changed their mess to have a baby?? 

Was there any side effects with the change??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gillian,

I'm sorry that you are having problems with anxiety (my guess) to the point where you have to take medication. My suggestion would be to handle one thing at a time; something I am sure you don't want to hear from anyone, especially a stranger.

You have one child. Can you focus on him or her...and your self and your marriage for now? Maybe you are working and under stress in some particular area of your life. Leave your job or change to one with less responsibility and stress. Can you not go for (more) counselling, take up a sport, get out more, relax with long walks every day, avoid coffee, tea, colas, chocolate, cigarette smoke (second hand?...), avoid stress?... Maybe make sure your thyroid and hormones are okay? Check the side effects of any medication you are on. Often they cause anxiety. I would get myself in tip top shape before spending 9 months creating a little human being. You want to be in the best shape possible; physically and psychologically before adding stress to your body through pregnancy. Do you eat well?...6 - 10 servings of fruit and vegetables per day as recommended by the NHS? Maybe get yourself in shape through diet and exercise...thereby reducing stress. See then, if you can reduce the medication you are on now. Maybe in 6 months, if you work on getting yourself in great shape in every way, your anxiety issue will be resolved. Personally I just drink one cup of tea and I feel 'dread'. Through lifestyle changes, you may be able to beat this. Just as you want to plant a seed in fertile, healthy soil...it is the same with starting a pregnancy. 

That's my opinion for what it's worth... Good luck, Gillian!

• Posted

Hello Gillian,

I was taking the herbal supplement St John's Wort for 9 years. I found it helped me to feel calmer. Then my GP prescribed Citalopram 2 years ago. I took it for about 2-3 months, but I didn't find it as effective as St John's Wort and I would feel really edgy as it got near the time to take my next tablet, so I gave up on Citalopram and went back to St John's Wort for 6 months. Then, 18 months ago, my GP prescribed Sertraline. I have been taking it ever since, for the past 18 months. I have found it more effective than St John's Wort and much better than Citalopram. I would thoroughly recommend Sertraline.

• Posted

PS I haven't noticed any side effects at all from Sertraline, except a little more clear discharge than usual from my vagina.
  • Posted

Just to reiterate...DON'T purposely get pregnant if you are taking ANY medication. Wait until you are well and work at it for 6 months or longer to get your body in the best possible shape and your mind as well. Babies cause stress so adding to your stress load by having one when you are already feeling stress, is not a good idea. Can you be happy with one child? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.