Citalopram v Sertraline

Posted , 4 users are following.

Advice please... what are the differences between the two or is it some ppl get on with one better than the other?

Any info will be really helpful, thanks 😊

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I asked my GP that question yesterday, but about cit and Prozac. The answer was as you say, just some suit some and others suit others! X
    • Posted

Thanks Helen, I guess the next question would be 'how long do we wait before deciding we're NOT suited to the med we're taking'

Some ppl go on for many weeks still feeling bad before deciding to change.

• Posted

For me 7 weeks was enough,my anxiety was getting worse and worse. My gp suggested I changed. I felt better as soon as I changed. Having said that many people give it longer! X
    • Posted

helen give it time............  i did and it worled ,x
  • Posted

blu02.............i dont have a clue  everyone rects differently to any type of antidepressant .. i just know im fine with citalopram. 
    • Posted

Hey Julia.. great to hear and I hope Citalopram keeps working for you 😊

Take care..

• Posted

yes there fine i call them my happy pills now ..  nearly 8 years been on them now   so somtings do work out x thanks blu02 x
  • Posted

There's many different SSRI's, and agree what the others say, people react differently on them.  It's a question of trial and error before finding the one for you.  Fluoxetine is more suitable for teens, though of course also suitable for any age.  Citralopram is my 3rd type I've been on - the first one was Seroxat which I found made me angry and the 2nd one was eventually taken off the market (even forget the name now).

K xx

• Posted

Hi katekogs

i loved seroxat!.. Was on it for about 10 years... Would nt give it to me this time!.. Gp said it's reserved for when all else fails these days :-( x

• Posted

Seroxat was the medication I recovered on initially, but over time I had this strange anger all the time.  Isn't it strange how we all get different reactions to drugs.  

Oh really?  They wouldn't give it to you again?  Saved for when all else fails ...... wonder why.  That's a pain for you when you know it worked for you :-(

• Posted

I think she said because of the problems people have had coming off of it. Although I cut down for 2 weeks then stopped. Felt unwell for a couple of weeks but then was fine...

when I went to docs a few months back I saw a locum and she asked if I wanted to go back on seroxat or try cit,so they don't all have the same view!.the doctor that said no to seroxat (when the cit didn't work) has been my doctor for 28 years....

• Posted

I don't recall any different side effects coming off Seroxat either, to when I came off my last one.  I didn't have any problem really, just the usual withdrawl effects for a few weeks too.  It's annoying when one doctor says one thing, and another something else.  A lot of doctors need to be more educated in SSRI's I think, and more support needs to be given when patients first start on these drugs.

I also felt quite freaked out when I found my medication was being withdrawn and I was out on another.  Silly really, as I was ok. :-)

• Posted

put on another, not 'out' on another.  Typos again tsk.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.