Citalopram-Vision issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was on Citalopram for three years and weened off.  Just started taking again and my having strange vision symptoms. Tunnel, blurry, almost a "staticky" feeling.  Anyone else have anything like this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tammy

It’s a very common side effect , I had it and occasionally when I’m very anxious still get it , it’s both a Cit side effect and an anxiety symptom.

Matt

• Posted

Hi Tammy. Yes I sometimes have similar feelings. Sometimes I feel like my eyes are too big for their sockets! This does seem to wear off and get less as you continue taking them. I have been on for 8 weeks now and this symptom is almost all but gone. Take care  Mark x
  • Posted

Hi Tammy.   In my experience of anxiety and taking Cit ( which I am now not taking), I think you will find that they vision/eye problem is more  of an anxiety symptom than a side effect of Cit.  By reading many posts on this and other forums, it is quite a common symptom for anxiety sufferers whichever medication they are taking, or in fact, like me, are taking no medication at all.  Just an opinion.  Lily x
  • Posted

Hi Tammy,

My GP recently increased my citalopram dose from 30mg to 40mg/day and he warned me that, because of my age, one side-effect could be glaucoma.  He advised me to get an eyesight check-up as Cit can increase eye pressure and thus trigger glaucoma, where you lose peripheral vision and end up with tunnel vision.

• Posted

I believe it is an age issue.  I'm 67.  GPs don't normally prescribe more than 20mg/day to patients over 60 and when my GP increased my dose to 40mg/day he warned me of two possible side-effects.  One was glaucoma, the other was the increased possibility of bone fractures.

• Posted

I had all those side effects ..they subsided..thank god

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.