Citalopram week 3 advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

recently ive acknowledged that i have had anxiety for many years- this has gotten worse over the last 2 years due to moving countries, multiple new jobs and parenting issues.

i tried to calm it by taking the combined contraceptive pill but it actually made it worse and i ended up having panic attacks x2. i reluctantly started taking citalopram 3 weeks ago (10mg).

the start was horrendous- i had every aide effect going. this seemed to slow down after 2 weeks, and i had some days where i felt mote positive and a bit mote normal. 5

the last 2 days have been hard- I've felt very tired and somewhat anxious again. the body shakes are back.

i have spoken to my gp this morning, and she is keen for me to stay on 10mg as its still early days. i have another 3 weeks off work.

what i'm wondering is if this is normal? to feel this dip after feeling on for a few fays?

when can i expect it to fully work?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! This is so so normal with this med. Typically if this med is going to be the one for you, you will start seeing positive changes any day now that should get stronger with time. You may have to increase to 20mg since that's the sweet spot for most people, but don't worry, side effects will not be as strong with an increase as from first starting the medication. Praying that your best days are soon!

• Posted

thank you. i hope so too. i did have some good days and last week and this week so deep down i think it will be ok.

its just hard waiting. i am such an impatient person!

• Posted

Yes its very normal, recovery is like rollercoster with ups and downs. You doctor right every dose you should give enough time to start working - 8-12weeks at least.

Having a good normal days is very good sign that meds is working. Side effects might come and go and change, its all normal.

Just keep going with meds, it is working but it needs time, its not magic pill 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.