Citalopram week 3 - bad side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi need some reassurance.

I've been on 10mg citalopram for just over 2 weeks and my anxiety and panic attacks have never been so bad. I'm struggling to think straight for a moment and can't leave the house. I started low to minimise the side effects but they have been full blown and not getting better. Also having really scary thoughts. Spoke to my dr who says I should up my dose but I'm scared that will make the side effects worse and I don't think I could take it.

He also said if I stop taking them all together it could get worse so I feel like I'm stuck and can't see the end to this. I was never this bad until I started taking it.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lara.

As you have only been on the mess for such a short time, I would say give your system time to adapt.

I started off on 20mg and now take 40mg.

It took some weeks for the Citalopram to work, but when it does, it does! 😊

You may well need 20mg to really feel any benefits. 10mg is low.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi. Did you have side effects when you incresaed to 40mg. I have been on it for 3 weeks and not seeing any improvement in my anxiety attacks @ 20mg. How long before you saw improvements and has your anxiety gone completely?

Thanks any advise helps in this journey.

• Posted

Hello Lara.

As you have only been on the meds for such a short time, I would say give your system time to adapt.

I started off on 20mg and now take 40mg.

It took some weeks for the Citalopram to work, but when it does, it does! 😊

You may well need 20mg to really feel any benefits. 10mg is low.

Take care.

• Posted

Oh my god, this could be me!!! and my doctor said the same to me. I started at 25mg on a different one, then after 1 week increased to 50mg but was so shakey my doctor changed me to citalopram 20mg. I then went away for a few days with my best friendand thank god i had her support. I have never been so much anxiety and coiuldnt sleep or eat!!! I was going to throw the towel in but got the similar response from my gp so have carried on. I know take it in thwe morning and I am sleeping. Things are still hard but i have only been on citalopram for 3 weeks and people say iy needs time.I have gone from being a very social person to now not coping with crowdsand social events. the cinema last week was horrid but stuck it out and have been cancelling drinks with girl friends for fear of an anxiety attack. I also have a 12 hour flight next monday, which is going to be so hard but hoping that some sunshine may help??? Relaxing is hard but exercise helps. People on here keep me going. like you I felt I had or have no choice and at the moment I am worse than before i started taking it with the anxiety. x  Giving it time to work but it  is so hard, wish the doctors warned me of the side effects x
    • Posted

How are you going to get on that plane?  Im scared I will just panic the whole flight because I cant just get up and walk off1 x
    • Posted

God knows!!! But have told my husband how i feel and my kids arent coming. He has been my rock so owe it to him.  I will struggle with the flight back because it is a night flight and I never sleep which makes me feel bad anyway. trying to think of the hot sun and the lovely beach. My kids are older and have tried to explain a bit to my 18 year old..My first anxiety attack was on a night flight back in november, so thats no helping either. But i have a place in Spain so have to face my fears.x Not going to be easy. will let u know when i arrive and have wi fi access. aAways worried about leaving my kids too, so it will be stacked up against me x  This forum has been a life saver. So thanks for the support and ypur imput 
    • Posted

Ah youre welcome, Im not much help at the moment but I look at these forums and see real people, not doctors who just do not seem to know what to do.

Yes my flight back is a night flight too but I dont go until April so im hoping this horrible illness will be gone by then.  Just wish I knew what its all about!!  

Hope you have a good holiday, despite feeling rubbish xx

• Posted

I know how you feel.  I had exactly the same when first going on them in November, got better after about 4 weeks and then I got my period and it went downhill.  I was increased to 30mg last week and my anxiety and panic is absolutely awful.  I wasnt that bad before taking it either but after having two good weeks, I feel that it will work, it just takes time.  some people get better immediately, others take weeks.  I have diazepam for emergency days when I feel really bad but try not to take it too often.  Im with you on this, believe me, its c**p! x
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on citalopram 2 different times in my life (one of them curently), and both times I went through the same as u are going through now. I was so scared of the effects of the medicine that it paralysed me. I was constantly feeling and waiting what it will do to me. But I only got better. It's because of the fact that we're such sensitive people. My advice is just wait through it, u will get used to it, it's only the fear that makes u so panicky. It's not even the side effects, it's ur own mind playing games and makibg u scared. Let it be and try not to think about it, try forget that ur taking the meds. I know sound easy but it's not impossible. Good luck

• Posted

I was on Citaloprm 10 mg for 9 years, when you first take them the side effects are awful, it takes about 6 weeks to get used to them and gradually  you start to feel normal again.  I came off them 3 years ago because i felt i could cope with life again, i weaned myself off and experienced side effects but now i am ok, or as ok as i will ever be.   Give yourself 6 weeks!

• Posted

HANG IN THERE! KEEP GOING!! IT'S OK! - Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.