Citalopram, weening onto it

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, Ive suffered from moderate to severe panic disroder for a while, and Ive been quite debilitated because of it for roughly 2 years.   

My main trigger is my health, specifically nausea and vomitting.  

My doctor initially prescribed me teva-Lorazepam 1mg which is working great for in the moment situations where I need imediate relief.  

However I, just like thousands, want my old life back.  

My doctor prescribed me Citalopram 20mg back in october of 2016, I was to take 10mg for 7 days then take 20mg per day afterwards with a follow up appointment a month later.  I read the side effects and saw nausea and vomitted came up a lot.. I refused to take them out of complete fear up until 3 days ago ( January 10, 2017 ). At my appointments between then and now we had talked about natural and alternative ways to help fix it, with out much success happening though.. At my last appointment in December we talked about weening onto it in very small incriments.  I was still very weary about it though.  I finally bit the bullet though this week and realized I dont want to live the rest of my life the way it is right now.  I took my doctors advice and I am taking it in 2.5mg doses and uping it by 2.5mg every 5 days until I reach 20mg which should be by mid-February.  

So far no bad side effects, really none in general, except I get drowsy an hour after taking it for an hour or so then I go back to normal.  

I just want to know if anyone has had success weening thmeselves onto it slowly like I am.  I also take gravol every night before bed because I cant slepe at night otherwise ( been taking it for over a year daily ).  

My doctor and pharmasist said that this is a good idea ( to slowing up my dose ) so I dont experience bad effects while doing it. 

I just want to know if anyone else has done it the way I am and how it worked out for them !! 

THANK YOU XO

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Annelise,

I totally get what you're saying about titration upwards at your own pace. Your whole attitude towards the treatment will be much more positive if you feel you are in control. Obviously your GP recognises this too.

I share your fear of throwing up. I have a phobia about just the feeling of nausea. I'm on 20mg and may possibly have to increase shortly but just the thought of it scares me.

Good luck and we'll done on even starting, anxiety is the pits !!

• Posted

Thank you so much ! It really means a lot to hear from someone who shared the same phobia ! I too panic at the thought of nausea and illness. I start taking 5mg tomorrow night for 5 days ! Hoping it goes well !! Though I think I will be fine since I have not had any side effects on 2.5-3mg !!

Good luck to you as well it's a tough thing to handle and you really are on your own with it 👎🏼

• Posted

Well done Annelise sounds like you are doing great. Let us know how things go x
  • Posted

best wishes annelise, I am on 10mg for about 2 years or more, recently decided to up to 20mg and am slowly going up, my tablets are not scored but i cut it myself, I am taking 15mg the last week and yes i do notice the side effects, I want to up to 20mg, I feel in my mind am i just prolonging the inbetween stage by slowly upping but it is actually a good thing to do imo.

Last year i went from 10mg to 15 and after 3 nights to 20mg and had terrible nausea and hot and cold and it was really awful, so actually i have had a good time so far with the 15mg no nausea what so ever, just pressure in my sinuses, restless legs, feel more stressed out and depressed but these are known side effects, i am praying the 20mg will benefit me.

Hang in there and best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.