Citalopram weight gain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering if someone on here could help me.

I went on 20mg citalopram just over a year ago after experiencing trigger depression. In the past couple of months I have been starting to feel a lot better and can finally see the positives in life again so my doctor told me to phase weening off them. I went from one every other day to one every 3 and finally I am off them and have been for a week. I actually feel fine apart from rather frequent heart pulpatations. I can deal with all of that but I am really starting to struggle with the fact I have gained a stone in a really short space of time. I have always been a size 8 and never have worried about my weight but I don't know how to get rid of this. It's really getting me down my whole body has ballooned and it just doesn't want to budge. I'm struggling with the fact I am losing control and am already feeling more anxiety. My doctor has no appointments for 2 weeks and I feel I can't just go and say hello I've gotten fat.

Does anyone have any similar experiences of the weight gain and have you lost it? I don't know what's happening to my body

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

A friend of mine who is in a similar stage has increased weight after coming off, but trains like a trooper (not saying you have to run like Forest Gump) but exercise helps with the weight for her? some people say the weight gain is only temporary 'that I cant confirm though'. I'm sure you still look great dont be too hard on yourself get well and then worry about the other things weight gain etc. keep smiling smile

• Posted

Hi Stevo,

Thank you so much for your reply and kind words. I am going to try and start training more and hope that will help. Thanks again

Hannah

• Posted

Hi Hannah

i am having the same trouble as you! But I am still on the meds. I remember last time I came off the Meds it took me about six months to lose the weight but it did come off eventually. Now that I'm on my second time with citalopram I've gained weight again so I've cut right down on fat and sugar having a green smoothie for lunch and walking for an hour everyday with with two friends.im doing the best I can but rather be a little over my normal weight than suffering anxiety.

try to focus on getting well and the weight will normalise in time x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.