citalopram & weight gain ( how long to lose it after coming off cit)

Posted , 55 users are following.

I have been on cit 50mg & trazodone 200mg for 2 years. I have put on 3 stone in this time.

I have started to reduce the cit & just wondered how long it takes to lose the weight gain once you are off the cit??

8 likes, 119 replies

119 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi guys, I started this post last year so thought I'd give you an update. I actually was completely off cit by October 2012. I began my diet & exercise plan at the begining of November. I lost my 3 stone. by March 2013 smile

I decreased my calorie intake and increased my exercise. I am a fitness instructor & personal trainer & was already very active. Looking back, I was probably eating more than normal & thats what caused the weight gain not the citalopram. As soon as I actually focussed on losing the weight, it dropped off.

I would recommend the myfitnesspal app for phones and tablets. Its a free app & is great for tracking what you eat & your exercise.

If anyone wants any advice or info, please give me a shout wink

• Posted

oh that is so encouraging gymbunny. I hope to lose all the weight that I have gained.
    • Posted

Did you go on to a different anti-depressant or off all of them completely?
  • Posted

Good to get your feedback gym bunny and to learn that you managed to lose the excess weight. Interesting how we all react differently but why shouldn't we as individuals! I maintain my rather low weight but that's probably as a result of a small appetite. I know I felt ravenous when I started taking Citalopram, a feeling of nausea that was relieved by eating. I guess if this persists it would be all too easy to gain weight.

Did you have any difficulties coming off the Citalopram? I'm still on the maximum dose and so far have no wish to reduce this. How did you decide the time was right to try to come off it?

• Posted

Quit taking citalopram a week ago and gained 5 pounds. Googled could getting off of citalopram cause weight gain and another forum on this site has girls boo hooing over the major weight gain they have since quitting citalopram. I feel fine but won't if get fat. So unfortunately I just popped my pill and have decided to have fake orgasms since citalopram has killed those since taking them and loose these 5 pounds....Soundls like the others have gained massive amounts of weight...yikes 
    • Posted

kinda tired so excuse my grammar..
    • Posted

Hi Josie1965 when you went on citalopram were you in the group that lost weight? I wonder if this is why you gained since coming off of it.
    • Posted

It sucks since I've been on I've gained back the 15 pounds. I struggled so hard to lose. I was sick of it I quit taking it it made me sleepy fatique I quit doing my Crossfit running then turned into a blimp. I've been quit for two weeks. One day I feel I'm losing the next like my belly is swollen it's very depressing. But I'll be dang if I'm going to allow a medicine to control me and destroy me this is the worst medicine in the world. If they ever have a lawsuit I will sue.
    • Posted

Five stone in 6 months me and no hope of coming off as reaction is horrific
    • Posted

When I started cutting back the crying spells were shocking what made it worse was the general withdrawals that take over physically but I kept telling myself it wouldn't last forever and after about 6 weeks j am FINALLY feeling human again. I was quite numb taking 40mgs I almost never felt upset or angry or anything at all. No drive, no energy, no sex drive. It does get easier if u really wanna shed ur self of it I couldn't handle my 20kg weight gain in just under 10 months. I find the path off it easier then watching myself get heavier when I had worked so hard just before taking them to lose weight.
    • Posted

I wanted to reply to your post and to say thank you as its really lifted my spirits.

Ive been on 20 mg of citalipram for 7 years following some dramatic life events.

my life has improved for the better and  I wanted to come off them.

with my Drs support I went down to 10mg and am now on day 10 of having nothing.

I can't believe how horrendous the side effects are .ladt week and kept having hot sweats/ feeling faint./ headaches.

yesterday I started with flu like symptoms and had to come yo bed at 5.30 tonight and just slept.

now I'm wide awake and can't sleep.

im so determined to get off them and don't want to go backwards.

Did you go through same symptoms and how many weeks fix it take to get over the worst?

Im at slimming world to lose the 50lbs I've put on but at the moment nothing's shifting.

Ive started walking / jogging and this really helps me to feel better so I intend to keep going and hope I'll start losing weight soon.

Id love to hear from others who are also going through withdrawal so we can support each other

x

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I too have been off the cit's for 9 days now after being on for 2 years. Granted it wasnt 7 years like you, but the side effects are terrible for me. It's dizziness that is getting me the most. When I am walking around in the office I get bad dizzy spells. I went into fight or flight mode yesterday because with Storm barney and those harrowing winds, I nearly had a car crash! I felt awful all last night after it. Couldnt calm myself down but one thing is for sure. I am not going back on them, i cant give up as I dont want to be on them.

It would be good if you could give me an update when you start to feel the side effects are finally subsiding. I would really appreciate it!

We will be okay, Im dam sure of it!

Tom x

• Posted

Hi krispie, I felt fine while on cit & decided that unless I tried to reduce them I would never know when I was ready to reduce or not.

I gradually reduced them by 10mg a time, giving myself long enough on the lower dose to assess how I felt. If I felt ok I reduced further. It took me 6 months in total to stop all together. I still take trazadone though.

• Posted

Hi. I went on Citaloram in April 2010 and came off it in January 2013. In the time I was on it I put on nearly four stone in weight. As someone that has never had a weight problem before this came as quite a shock. My GP would not recognise weight gain as a side effect of this medication but I was convinced that it was. Since stopping citalopram eight months ago though I have now lost just over a stone already and have not excersised or dieted to achieve this which I think proves this Citaloram actually does cause weight gain. I was also experiencing extreme ht flushes and sweating constantly while on the mess and this has also stopped. My GP was putting the hot flushes and weight gain down to menopause which it obviously wasn't. Don't get me wrong Ciatalopram has got me through a very difficult period in my life but it definitely causes weight gain and I think doctors need to start recognising this as a side effect.
  • Posted

Hi all, I have been on 20mg for 4 years now and tried several times to come off but have had terrible side effects. This time I'm happier in life generally and have managed a week so far. Very dizzy and disoriented at Times and heart palpitations but am determined. I already feel more in touch with the world instead of feeling a bit not too bothered. Making sure I eat healthily and regularly has helped. No alcohol. And a good nights sleep. Very weird dreams but that kind of normal for me. Looking forward to weight loss as I gained about 3 stone!

Thank you to everyone who's posted. It's really so helpful. Good luck to you all!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.