citalopram withdrawal.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Well I have had to come off citalopram due to horrendous side effects that wasnt getting any better and being on it for almost 12 weeks I should have seen some improvement but instead I am alot Worse!

So I am now 10 days off of citalopram and feeling terrible....I am having terrible tingling in my head, very dizzy whooshy feelings in my head. Im not sleeping......its like ive taken an amphetamine! But at the same time getting quite bad derealisation / depersonalisation which is scaring the hell out of me. My anxiety has also gone through the roof and thoughts all over the place! I wasnt quite this bad before starting it at all! So I am feeling very upset and quite tearful too :-( I just want some reassurance that this is normal.

Thanks to anybody that reads this

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Alison you are going through withdrawal ..your  GP should have weaned you off them ..it's dangerous to just stop them..please see your doctor he should be able to prescribe eithe another AD or a benzodiazepine to help you short term ...go tomorrow ..let me know how you get on 

Pat

• Posted

Hi Pat.

I went from 20 mg down to 10 mg which I stayed on for 3 weeks then had to stop.... The side effects were terrible and they just wasnt helping at all. I have attempted all antidepressants and cant tolerate any of them. I seem to be very sensitive to these type of meds. Also as you can tell have terrible withdrawal too! He has given me propranolol which I have been taking for a while but they dont do much. I have spoken to him this morning and he has prescribed me some zopiclone to help me get some sleep.... Which I havent had for Months!

How long are these withdrawals likely to last?? Ive been cryingtoday...thoughts all over the place.

• Posted

So sorry to hear this Alison..I have been there so I empathise..withdrawal lasts for different amounts of time for different people..some are lucky others not...most people I  know have been prescribed  a Benzo to help short term only..you could do with that kind of help for a couple of weeks ..these meds are nasty ,really nasty
    • Posted

I really never want to go on another again!

I cant take benzos they dont do much for me and after going through withdrawal from them this time last year I wouldnt want them again anyway!

Pat did your anxiety and depression come worse than ever with withdrawal? Horrible derealisation etc??

• Posted

I did my withdrawal over one year ..even ding it so slowly I am still having anxiety stacks and irritability 10 weeks after my last pill !...sorry to hear of your plight..how will you cope if AD 's and benzos don't work for you ?
    • Posted

I really have no idea!! I have Appt with psychiatrist on the 31st....im feeling really disheartened to be honest that nothing seems to work for me
    • Posted

Hopefully he will suggest something ..I do hope so..do you have family support ? 

Please feel free to ask me anything ..hate to think of you in this state 

all good wishes 

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.