Citalopram withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was put on citalopram 5 years ago after a few traumatic experiences and for the last 6 months been gradually decreasing my dose the last time i saw the doctor she gave me a months worth of 10mg and said take that course and stop so i did and been off them over a week now but jeez iv never felt as bad severe brain zaps and dizzy and my mood swings are brutal to the point im snapping at the slightest thing.its got to the point now were i just wanna take some just to help but im so determained to be free of them im not going to donit but how long will i feel like this. Im taking one day at a time im having good days then really sh*tty days any advice welcome

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did you get dizzy etc when you were reducing or only once you had stopped ?
  • Posted

Oh no, not another doctor doing that.

I've spent a year coming off these meds decreasing by 5mg at a time from 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25 / 0 spending 2 months on each lowered dose and had no withdrawal symptoms at all - unlike the first time I did it.

You can't jump from 10mg to 0.  You should have gone down to 5mg and stayed on that for a month, then 2.5mg for a month then 1.25mg (I crushed my last 5mg and halved the powder then halved again).

You're having withdrawal symptoms which you'll have for some time yet.

Go see your doctor and get reinstated back onto Cit, maybe just 5mg, but it should help ease the symptoms.  You may need 10mg of course, but your doctor (god help us) should advise.  Its only been a week so should fine.  Don't do it on your own, but see your doctor and insist.  Its your body.

Then ....... when you're back on them and your body has settled down start withdrawing by 5mg at a time, spending a month on each lowerd dose.

Doing it gradually isn't a shock for the body, and you'll be free of them with any problems.

K x

• Posted

** free of them withOUT any problems **  

Totally reads the opposite having left a word out  ... doh! rolleyes

• Posted

Look up Breathing Techniques when jumpy, than can calm a mood down if used well.

Look on he Internet there are techniques on there that are basically the same as giving birth.

The Relaxation Techniques may also help. Mindfulness comes to mind. Look on Amazon for books ant disks to help you. Sometimes your Practice may be able to help and supply recordings

The medicaion is at the lowest level so it may take a little longer to come of the drug. Some on here will suggest you split the ten to two fives, this is not a good idea unless your GP recommends it. Be patient and good luck, you will have side effects, they will eventually disappear

Keep a hold

B.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.