Citalopram withdrawal

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi all, been on citalopram for 6 months, since december 18th, spoke to phsyciatrist and they want me to withdraw from 30mg citalopram, by going from 30, down to 20 for 2 weeks, then down to 10mg for 2 weeks then come off completley... isnt this way to quick??

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do you, personally, feel ready to come off the citalopram? If you feel ready and the doctors have given you the go ahead, then I don't see anything wrong with the plan you have. I was on 40mg, cut down to 20 for a week and then 10 for another week, then was off completely. I did suffer some withdrawal but that was to be expected.

• Posted

the citalopram amongst other antidepressants is what's caused me to be depressed and anxious every 4 weeks, they have said it seems to have exaggerated my moods and magnified them, and its causing symptoms similar to pre menstrual depression and anxiety which I never had before these meds, was originally put on sertraline due to sleep issues which is what caused all of this as I had a very bad reaction to it, so they believe if I come off all the meds I'll return to my normal happy self again without the 2 week severe loss, I've been off work for 6 months becuase of it, so they want me off meds asap really and tbh so do I, what withdrawals did you have and how long did they last? how long did you take each reduction for?xx

• Posted

How you doing Emily I'm down to about 1mg stil so so but not getting awful physical symptoms like you are getting. I must say think slowish taper is best even though I'like you desperate to get off them.

• Posted

the physical symptoms I was getting were from the quetiapine I was on, found that out after I reinstated my dose, all I'm getting now is increased anxiety mainly in morning, bad sweats, dirreah, and no appetite, I did have a moment on monday in the morning till lunchtime where I felt really low and anxious and was crying... i also feel like I cant be bothered to do anything very lethargic I guess like tired, I'm due to go down to 10mg today x

• Posted

Glad your physical symptoms eased. I'm gradually seeing tiny bit improvement some days, I know you want to withdraw quickly, but I think doing it gradually for me has definitely eased symptoms. First couple week pretty brutal but now only get odd meltdown day. Been withdrawing nearly 6 weeks from 10mg now down to 1mg

• Posted

if I was only on 10mg I would've probably gone slower too, but if I went as slow as you have on 30mg it would have took me ages and I csnt bare to suffer any longer x

• Posted

Just worry you are going to get awful withdrawal symptoms going so quickly, look back at what other have said re their experience of withdrawal, Katiecogs seems have lot of experience.. Totally get wanting to get off them I feel exactly the same,, but even dropping slowly is a real roller coaster ride I had meltdown this evening after couple OK days. Take care let us know how you get on.

• Posted

How are you doing have been worried about you dropping doses so quickly. Iwas feeling so awful on the really low doses stopped couple nights ago. Been up and down one day up another not great but really glad I'm off them.Thet do obviously help lot of people, but to some of us can make things whole lot worse. Hope you are OK, taken me 6 weeks get to this point although not great don't feel any worse than when I was on them.

• Posted

doing good at the moment, dropped to 10mg couple days ago and still no withdrawal symptoms that I've noticed really

• Posted

but remember, these drugs caused me to go downhill monthly possible interfereing with my hormones, not feeling awful 24/7 but they made me unstable xx

• Posted

the monthly going downhill has probably caused me an extent of anxiety too, as naturally I'm always scared of it as I knew it was coming, so I'm hoping once I'm off the tablets I'll stabilise again and wont go downhill and therefore the anxiety will then also naturally dissipate x

• Posted

So pleased you are doing well, are you still on the other med maybe that is helping with the withdrawal symptoms as well. Wish I hadn't stayed on them so long but kept thinking they would start helping. I'm also hoping the OCD will dissipate now I'm off them as never had it before taking these drugs. Let me know how you are doing.

• Posted

Have just read they can be one of the hardest ones to come off all to do with the half life. But 90% of them leave your body within a week so hopefully start improving after that!

• Edited

Hi Emily,

I just remembered this website from a few years back!

I just wanted to do a catch up with anyone who is desperately trying to get off Citalopram. Just to let everyone know, you can get off it! It will likely be very difficult with all sorts of horrible symptoms along the way, but you really have to dig deep and search your soul for strength, knowing that you are going in the right direction.

I was on it for years. It was only by chance (or divine intervention) that I got a new doctor who worked with me over many, many months and first let me know about Cipramil Drops. My previous doctor was trying the same old advice most doctors give, alternate between doses over a week or two and you'll soon be off it! (ridiculous, unrealistic, dangerous and useless advice) . I'm sure there will be some who just come off it with ease, but citalopram is a very powerful drug and many find it almost impossible to get off. When you've been on citalopram for many months or years, your body becomes reliant on it. I'd tried many times and failed with the tablets. It was only when I changed to the drops I was able to reduce the doses so gradually, that it was possible to get off it. I eventually got down to 2mg per day, and then I started to make a glass with markers on the side. A full glass of water with 1 drop was 2mg. I divided glass into 10 equal markers. I then spent months reducing down 1 marker per week. Eventually I came off altogether.....that was 3 years ago. I've since turned to meditation and Buddhism as a way to calm the mind, which has much longer and healthier lasting effects than daily tablets.

• Edited

What happened?? How are things now??

• Edited

well, i weaned down from 30mg to 0, took my last pill monday just gone, i wekt down 10mg every 2 weeks, and ive had no withdrawals that ive noticed except maybe abit of dirrhea and sweating maybe but that could be anything, i still get slightly anxious thoughts about it as of course thats not going to go away yet as ive been through so much, but hopefullt when im off the other meds and i know im not having the monthly dips where i hit rock bottom i can go back to work and gain my confidence back 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.