Citalopram withdrawal after five months?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Advice needed!!

I was on citalopram for six weeks but had a really horrendous experience. I had every side effects that you could possibly have but 10x worse! So I tapered off them over a week. I then must of had every single withdrawal effect you could have also!!!

I'm now just five months from when I took my last pill. I'm still getting the dizzyness (lightheaded) and tinnitus. The depressive days comes in waves. My anxiety still continues. I never suffered with anxiety until I started taking diet pills (super keytone plus), myself and my doctor didn't realise it was to do with these tablets though.

Now I'm at the stage with OCD intrusive thoughts - this is also something I be never had!!!

I've read somewhere that somebody didn't feel better for six months after stopping. I'm looking for advise really coz the doctor has given me flueoxetine coz I mentioned the word OCD! but after the citalopram- I don't know 😔

Anything would be appreciated x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also suffer badly with side effects they lasted about 6 weeks this time, but I just pushed through. They aren't harping my anxiety after 2 months, but they did work for me last year. I can't comment if the side effects would still be there after 6 months off them, but I still have tinnitus. Never taken Prozac, but I don't believe the side effects are anywhere near as bad as citalopram.
  • Posted

Hi Jessica,I know how you feel.I was on cit 10mg for 2 months and I had horrible side effects.I decided to stop them and now I am off them for 6 weeks.I am still lightheaded , depressed and tired all the time.My advice from my own experience is not take any antidepresive tablets.
    • Posted

Hey there, I was on for 4 months, this is first week off of cita. I was on 20 mg. didn't really have any side effects, slight dizziness and headaches! But I feel amazing, head is so clear, I went to a naturopath a week ago, I'm wanna get my mind, body and spirit in good health the drug free way! While I'm not really convinced about some of this stuff, kinda voo dooish to me. There r vitamins to bring ur mood up and a lot of the stuff she has me taking I know my diet is lacking. So I will c how it goes, cause no longer taking meds that r only a band aid! I wanna be healed and happy forever! Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Beth,how are you?How it goes with the herbal remedies ,do you feel any better?
  • Posted

Thank you to those who wrote to me.

I do have to say that I was never this bad before touching the diet pills, diazepam and citalopram.

It baffles me to how I could possibly still withdrawing from citalopram when I was only them for six weeks (8weeks counting the tapering off time). And there's people who been on them for months and only withdrawn for a few weeks!!

I'm still experiencing anxiety, heartburn, hair loss, tinnitus, lightheaded, weight loss xx

• Edited

hi Jessica , just came across your this forum while having precisely the same as you. just started with 5th month of stopping with celexa. and same symptoms as you. could you please share how much time it took that you totally came out of it.

• Posted

Hi Jessica ,how are you?Did you recover after the bad experience with citalopram?Do you take any med at the moment?
  • Posted

Hi, i was prescribed citalopram this week, I took one 20mg an felt horrendous, so I binned them. I had the overheating, clenched jaw, nausea and felt suicidal. Its been 4 days since I took it and I still feel sleepy, light headed and a fast heartbeat. I have been at te gym and had been feeling great until this. NEVER again will I be puting anyting in my bodyblike this ever again. I will be blasting the gym next week, hoping my mind, hormones and health returns too full strength. Good luck people....
  • Posted

hi jessica, just came across ur old messege. i wanted to ask if your anxiety mood swings and other issues what you had, vansihed ?

• Posted

hi jessica, just came across ur old messege. i wanted to ask if your anxiety mood swings and other issues what you had, vansihed ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.