Citalopram withdrawal. Help.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been on Citalopram on and off for several years. I decided to wean myself off it as it was giving me tinnitus and didn't want to take it forever. I tapered the dose slowly, although in hindsight, maybe not slowly enough. It's been around two months since I stopped and everything went well at the start. I can honestly say I didn't notice any difference. But in the last month there has been a gradual build up of symptoms. I actually wondered at one point if I was getting early onset dementia. I know your brain naturally forgets things for it to function, but I've actually been scared on some occasions. For example, I randomly forgot the word for cabbage. It came back to me but I just couldn't get the name. Also, I deliberately went to pick something up in the supermarket and thought I'd picked it up, then got home with something completely different, without realising. Also, in a restaurant, our meals came to the table and I'd completely forgotten that I'd changed my order. So I'm at the table saying I hadn't ordered what they had brought me.

Reading this back it sounds trivial and silly, and I think because I've noticed a memory issue, I'm noticing and over analysing everything now(I suffer from anxiety and OCD).

In addition, I feel as though my brain is foggy sometimes and I can't think straight. I feel confused and can't concentrate. I feel as though my anxiety has returned ten fold, although sometimes I feel ok. I wake up sometimes feeling panicky, but I don't know why. I generally feel I don't want to go out or see anyone. I often can't be bothered to engage in conversation, either that or I won't shut up. I've read that some people have a horrendous time coming off citalopram or SSRIs, but I've mainly read about the more physical symptoms and not the mental ones. I really don't know what to do.

0 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

completely normal liz, you sound like me, i have every symptom in the book mind and body and still not completely off yet x

• Posted

thank you for your reply. It's made me feel better. How long is it since you stopped?

Although Citalopram helped me hugely when I took them, I really wish I'd never taken them. I'm going to try to ride out the withdrawal as I need to get rid of the tinnitus. However, I've heard it can take months to go.

I really think there should be a lot more awareness out there of how difficult and debilitating the withdrawal process is. From what I've read it is made out to be much easier that it actually is.

• Posted

hi liz, sorry only just seen this, im on a lot of threads, im not off yet, still on 6mg and im one of the unlucky ones that gets bad withdrawal, but im determined to get off as im more me now (more human) also i never had anxiety until withdrawal and have all the symptoms mentioned on this post plus some so please dont let anyone scare you saying its your anxiety coming back! how can it be, i never had it, if you want to chat im always around, take care x

• Posted

That's very kind. Thank you. And the same for you too. It's a huge help being able to chat with others who have either gone through withdrawal, or going through it. No one else understands as you look like your normal self to them. They don't understand the utter turmoil you're going through.

I read an article where someone going through withdrawal thought they were dying of a terminal illness, they felt so bad. There is no preparation for the withdrawal.

• Posted

Toria if you've never had anxiety then you won't know the familiar feelings of the return. Withdrawal is generally different symptoms.

K x

• Posted

absolutely my withdrawls from other meds where way differnt than my initial symptoms of anxiety.

• Posted

actually withdrawal anxiety is like normal anxiety timed by a thousand if you read up! also i do have ocd which is a form of anxiety! and trust me i dropped by 5mg and ive been in hell for a year!!! so 5mg drops dont work for everyone, just saying, also my partner has bad anxiety and we talk alot so i think i know what anxiety feels like kate thanks 😃

• Posted

seriously if thats all you had youre very very lucky, i had racing thiughts telling me to kill myself! theyve gone now thankfully

• Posted

so toria tell us why where you put on antidepressents?i already know why but maybe the folks on here havent a clue etc.x

• Posted

the cit was for migraines and pain! the mirt was for depression which funnily enough was a thousand times worse in withdrawal and once off and settled i wasnt depressed anymore! anyway ive got stuff to do, i know i wouldnt wish what im going through on anyone, zaps nausea etc are a walk in the park compared to be honest

• Posted

doctors should never i mean never prescribe celexa for pain of any kind .this med should only be prescribe for mental illness i mean severe not some ramdom prescription for pain or going thru a break up or getting fire from your job etc.

• Posted

thank you liz, 😃 just got to take each day as it comes xx

• Posted

and you had no clue what cirt was really for?correct me if iam wrong.

• Posted

Absolutely agree, and if the doctor feels it is the right medication, they should be having a lengthy chat about side-effect etc and how coming off it may be a problem. I suppose all medications can be dangerous or awful for someone. I lost my beautiful friend last year, not through illness, but due to the medication she was given for a medical problem. It induced interstitial lung disease, which has no real treatment, no cure and is terminal. She was only 49. I have an appointment this evening re my blood pressure, as it's high. If I need meds, I'm going to be asking lots of questions first.

• Posted

absolutely .and dont settle for off label meds.example amit for sleep or another antid.for another issue that is not mentally related.you get my point.folks who have sleep issues should take sleeping tablets not antid.go figure

• Posted

amit is a pain blocker in low doses an antidepressant in high doses

• Posted

iam still Skeptical about about antid .for other issues other than mental health.in my opinion.high doses low doses they all come with horrible withdrawls that are more unbearable than the actual pain you where prescribe for.yuck

• Posted

amit is also a sleep aid in low doses.but the withdrawls are all the same.

• Posted

sorry but how would you know how much pain im in lois? thats like when you said depression isnt as bad as anxiety when youve never had lol

• Posted

also ive gone up and down on amit and been fine, its ssri's people should be concerned about!

• Posted

so iam sure your pain cause you depression.i know what depression feels like i had it thru out my teens.but i never let doctors prescribe me antiphychotics.but my depresion when i was a teen did not cause pain.

• Posted

ssris for me are a god send .for you they are not .this is all a personal matter.there are more millions of folks on ssri with sucess. compare to the few that are not succesful.

• Posted

I can assure you I know my subject. I have a special interest in it.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet though - the truth is always in reality. Its a common trait for anxiety sufferers to constantly scour the internet searching for an answer - I did exactly the same. People go from source to source, collecting information, lots of it conflicting which weighs people down causing confusion and adding to the anxiety cycle.

Yes you said you dropped by 5mg, and as I said you can even drop by a lower amount than that. You can even drop by a few grains if thats what personally suits you. I also said that no, 5mg doesn’t work for everyone as we’re all different.

And again, as said - anxiety at the start, or even before taking meds, is, or can, be different to withdrawal. Again, we’re all different.

No its not all I had and completely understand and respect that people have a different withdrawal experience than anyone else.

I don’t underestimate the time you’ve spent being ill - that living hell was how I spent 16 years of my life before medicine and thats a long time with thoughts of needing to do away with myself. Spending the next 16 years on meds and knowledge from learning about this subject is what turned my life around. In all - 40 years of learning.

A year is a long time for you in withdrawal - and if you’re still getting brain zaps etc after all this time then something isn’t working - reinstating a small dose often alleviates this.

• Posted

Toria

Remember, we're all different, and if SSRI's haven't worked for you then thats unfortunate for you, but this is a forum specifically for SSRI's where people come for support and advice - not negativity about them xxx

• Posted

i most definitely know the pain you are in i have read all your 1174 post you have written and it states all on this forum.

• Posted

i did reinstate a tiny amount kate it made me worse but thanks anyway and no brain zaps are nothing they only come when i change dose and the reason i read the internet was when i had pychosis from being wrongly given steriods

• Posted

they also come for advise on how to get off them not to be told theyre still ill

• Posted

what are you on about the pain and depression are two different things!!! i had depression that bad i tried to jump out of a moving car but had cbt since then and have learnt to deal with it without meds 😃 anyway good luck all im off for a walk

• Posted

How to get off them? Isn't that the department you're still struggling with though?

As said - if you've not had start up anxiety before taking the meds then you won't know what I'm talking about. Taking them initially for pain, insomnia or whatever you had is different - and - there are more reasons why anxiety rears it ugly head with discontinuation of med - one is the anxiety has returned. I've been there - twice.

Ok Toria, lets leave it here now. This is not a competition.

Good luck with your withdrawal.......

K xx

• Posted

and i understand that but this thread is about someone who has stopped them, also one doctor at my gps told me that most choose to stay on as they cant get off, thats why newspapers etc have started talking about them

• Posted

i meant this thread kate! and yes ive had start up anxiety as when i was wrongly given lots of meds after hospital i had start ups with all of them and in regards to changing doctors, from all the posts ive read on here most of them are clueless

• Posted

iam talking about in general.when some one gets a diagnose of cancer or hiv the depression is so bad that they are prescribe ssri before actual treatments.

• Posted

they cant get off because the tapering system doctors prescribe is very faulty.

• Posted

Hello Liz, just a quick question do you mind if I pm you about your friend? I know this is off the subject of the post but I am dealing with something like that right now.

• Posted

what has that got to do with what we are talking about im lost?

• Posted

they cant get off because fir some even if you do it very slowly and tiny drops its bloody hard!

• Posted

perhaps you may still be suffering from phychosis.is not that difficult to understand our post.the bottom line is you said your self you hate ssris."and this forum is to Encourage not degrate those who are taking ssris . i have suffered worse than YOU!and iam now recover and still taking my ssri.and iam not just talking about this chat .all the other chats as well.

• Posted

i meant to say discourage.not degrate

• Posted

Silly question, where will I find your message? I'm new to this site. Thanks x

• Posted

please stop arguing guys x it makes me sad 😓

It feels like my parents splitting up all over again lol.

I love you both ❤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.