Citalopram withdrawal help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have been struggling with citalopram withdrawal for a while now. Im off them for 6 months but still feel as though I'm not myself, it's like there's a pause between thinking something and actually doing it. Like when someone asks me something pretty simple it takes me a couple of seconds to come out with an answer and even then it's as though I'm unsure. This might sound weird but it has really knocked my confidence and I've recently started a new job and would just like to be my old self.

I was just wondering if there's many people out there who still struggled with withdrawal after 6 months? And if there's anything they did that helped.

I know there's loads on the Internet about cit withdrawal but I can't find much about longer times like 6 months

Thanks

Sean

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I haven't experienced this myself but the best thing to do is see a neurologist ,they are the experts,in this area.Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Sean,

You have found the right place and you will get the answers. I was going to try reducing a while ago, but family problems and bereavements ment I had a blip or two so decided with the advice of people here and especially my GP not to. That was a good decision.

All I can think is that perhaps you didn't need to come of completely, What I do know is that we reduce gradually and slowlt at a rate that suits. Possibly by as little as a 5mg reduction every other day, until we are used to that level and then try another reduction.

My GP, probably the best GP in the world, advised me, as others here have to, that I may never come off. That even if I do reduce I may need say, just 5 or 10mg a day. Obviously, every so often I would (when ready and happening to me) try to reduce. If I need to stay on meds so be it. What I do know however, is that, this sticking plaster for the brain, has worked and repaired a lot of damage, maybe that damage will need a little help.

Talking of which do you use Vit B6 and D3 supplements? These help SRRIs and also look into 5-HTP this is what is recomended when you come off as an SSRI crutch.

There is one amongst us here that knows a lot and has reduced come off and returned slightly, I am sure she will be along soon.

In the meantime keep reading, (don't over think about things that may not apply to you) and keep posting (no matter what it is - as long as it is within the forum) and Welcome!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Note to self - remembet there isn't a spell check and check before posting! Duh!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.