Citalopram withdrawal. Please advise on symptoms.

Posted , 49 users are following.

Hello. I need some advise pls. I started taking citalopram 10mg 18 months ago for health anxiety. I went 'cold Turkey last Wednesday so 7 days ago. I was feeling a lot better and I felt the time had come to stop. Since Saturday I have been having awful falling/whooshing sensations in my head and feel weak and dizzy. Is this because I stopped and how long will this last? I'm feeling very anxious about it.

2 likes, 160 replies

160 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi

I have been off citalopram for the past month at first it felt like i wasn't experiencing any withdrawal symptoms back then but now i'm not so sure i feel tired, drained and to top it off i have a really sore and dry mouth coupled with painful swallowing that flares up more often than not was just wondering if this was a side effect withdrawing from this nasty drug

• Posted

also just to mention i was only on it for about 3 weeks with only a 10mg dose
  • Posted

I can’t off them completely 1 week ago (20mg) I haven’t had any side affects apart from getting very mild dizziness every now and then, if any thing I feel a lot better for not taking them and having the rely on them. I guess everyone’s different. Hope this helps 
    • Posted

Hey

questions how long were u on the Celexa and why

how did u know u did not need it anymore

thank you babsyboo

• Posted

Hey everyone

I'm off Celexa now for 4 days completely off , I was last on 5mg and I went down from 20 MG

I did do it as Gillian mentioned to me to maybe do it . I went after 5 month on 20 MG to 10 MG for 3 weeks then from there to 5 MG for 16 days then off completely. So been off it all as of 4 days ☺ yes I'm having withdrawal symptoms but they should go in do time , like headache , heartburn , dizzy and anxiety and crying . But I been reading a lot off katecogs sides and Lois and Gillian ☺ so having anxiety and crying is normal until the end till everything else is gone , yes all side effects are gone or called withdrawal symptoms . I read that the anxiety was the last to leave katecogs ☺ I also have fast heartbeat and chills and heat in my chest that wakes me up early in the mornings like 3 or 5 am 😕 not fun , but need to let it pass and go though it no matter how uncomfortable it feels and is . So my question to u katecogs or Gillian or Lois is , will this all subside if so when ? How long will all this take the going of the withdrawal symptoms? ?? Thank u ahead of time for all ur help in the past and now . babsyboo

• Posted

Hopefully these effdcts will subside. But 4-5 weeks from now, you could be in trouble. The worst effects are yet to come I'm afraid. Good luck

• Posted

from5milligrams.you should of half to 2.50.stay on that for at least one month.then to 1.25for another month..best regards

• Posted

Hey dubry760574

why in 4 to 5 weeks will I be in trouble?

Why are the worst effects yet to come ???

Why that late in of being off the Celexa ?

Thought with time passing it gets less

• Posted

Hey lois95799

why will it get worse in the 4 and 5 week ?

I went off the way Gillian explained , she told me 2 weeks

on 5mg and then u can get off , so I did that ☺

why u all scaring me like this with the 4 and 5 week ?

What's going to happen that far down the time , makes no sense ?

Please let me know I am interested now , thank u babsyboo

did something happen to you 2 in that time that u can share ????

Thanks

• Posted

Babsyboo everyone is different - you may or may not get worse, you may or may not relapse in week 4 or 5 ..... you can't go exactly by someone else's plan and get exactly the same results. Use others ideas as a guide - don't take it literally.

The symptoms you had on the meds could have been due to the meds or it could have been due to anxiety. Coming off meds might make you feel better if you were reacting to the meds badly - or you might feel worse in time eirher due to withdrawal or not, or anxiety might flare up if thats what was causing your symptoms.

You simply won't know until you try being off the meds. Only you can tell.

Give it time and stop clock watching every day - there is no 'one shoe fits all'.

K x

• Posted

katecogs answer your questions .did not mean to scare you.best regards.

• Posted

Hey katecogs

thank u for the fast response back

what do u mean by relapse ? U talking about relapse like having to

go back on the meds or relapse of withdrawal symptoms ? Please let me know what you mean , thank you .

Yes having withdrawal symptoms as off completely going off Celexa , so excited to see them go in do time , they will right ? Having heartburn , headache , shakes , crying and anxiety still going on 😢

I read a lot of your stuff katecogs and it says in ur stuff yes it all goes in do time and that ur anxiety was the last to go , right ? Help thank u babsyboo

• Posted

kate cogs anxiety was last to go while she was on celexa not after celexa .quote me if im wrong?kate cogs when she wean off the last time she did not have any withdrawals at all.first time she wean she had with drawals.

• Posted

Yes - Lois is right. My anxiety wad the last to go when I was on meds, not when I came off meds.

Relapse I mean is when the anxiety comes back.

• Posted

Hey katecogs

got it , thank you

so is there anyone that has withdrawal symptoms like me after

Getting of the Celexa ????

If so , what kind do u still have ? I still have headache, heartburn , chills , heat in upper chest , shakes , anxiety and wiping . Is it only me that the Celexa did it too ? Help anyone babsyboo

need to know if anyone has some after getting off this meds please

• Posted

i have read thru the hundreds of private messages you send me and it seems to me that you are having the same symptoms/side effects from before celexa while on celexa.and now .iam confused.

• Posted

Hey lois95799

yes some off them are still the same , but some of them are gone .

Like depression, fast heartbeats, nausea and so on . ☺

so just asking if the rest will leave me in do time ☺

thank u for responding back so fast

• Posted

i have never heard of some one saying that they are recover but still have anxiety.ok your depression is gone but not your anxiety!

• Posted

when is time to come off you are suppose to be one hundred percent free of any issues.period.!

• Posted

Lois95799

OK got ur massage ☺ thank u 😊

so would u like me to stop writing on here ? Or stop the questioning?

Because I read also up on any search for stopping Celexa about having withdrawal symptoms. So we're do does people get does from then ?

I read it takes 3 to 4 weeks for does to stop . Search any were on computer under will u get withdrawal symptoms when stopping Celexa .

So that why I am on here asking if anyone else had any when they went off the Celexa and I read on here there are some ☺ thank u for ur help . Not trying to make trouble ☺ babsyboo

• Posted

when you wean wrong you will get withdrawals.if you wean properly you wouldnt be having any issues.it took kate one year to wean off with no drama.theres two ways of weaning the wrong way and the right way.good luck .plus dont believe everything you read on doctor google.best regards.so just wait the the 3to 4weeks and see how you feel.

• Posted

if my experiences and or knowledge makes you uncomfortable my apology to you.

• Posted

Hi

thank u for getting back to me that fast

Yes I guess u right in the slower u do it the better u feel agree

I though I'm doing it slowly lol just done how Gillian gave me idea to maybe

do it . So I'll be waiting and see how the withdrawal symptoms disappear ☺

nothing u write me makes me uncomfortable instead I am very thankful for all ur time and respond back to me . Thank u babsyboo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.