Citalopram withdrawal success?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone got any success stories about citalopram withdrawal?

Several weeks ago I suffered with really bad panic attacks, which also brought on erectile dysfunction (I have suffered many times over the years but been fine for a few years).

My doctor have me citalopram 10mg which I took for 7 days.

My last tablet was 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, I still seem to be getting some withdrawal symptoms after 3 weeks.

Difficultly sleeping and insomnia, hot flushes, night sweats and constipation.

I still have erectile dysfunction too. No movement at all (same as when the anxiety attacks started) but I do wake sometimes in the night and can have a 75% erection some mornings.

I was wondering if the erectile dysfunction was a result of the citalopram but because I had this before I started taking it I probably doubt it. Also highly unlikely considering I was on the lowest dose 10mg and only took it for 7 days?

Also how long can I expect to have withdrawal symptoms for? Are these all normal?

Anybody had any success with getting off citalopram?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes. I had zero withdrawal. I reduced by 10% every 2 weeks. So 10mg, 9mg, 8.1 my and so on. I want exactly scientific with the measurements but it did the trick.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I've read that that it's not uncommon for side effects to last for anything from 4 weeks to 3 months. I stopped instantly because I was only on it for 7 days. Not sure if what I'm experiencing is a result of the citalopram or still the anxiety, which is not as bad as it was a few weeks ago but I know it's still an issue.

Also did you have any sexual side effects when you were on citalopram and did they go when you stopped?

I'm guessing my issues are purely down to the fact that I had an issue before I started citalopram and I wasn't on the 10mg long enough for it to take effect anyway?

• Posted

I've been on 20mg of Cit for 6 months and the last 5 days I've dropped to 10 mg on my own accord ! Feel good considering , feel as if I'm waiting for the explosion but so far so good !

I have started taken Omega , vitamin D and Magnesuim and eating more healthy and exercising ! Keep going everyone x

• Posted

Have you had any side effects whilst taking?

I stopped 3 weeks ago after only 7 days but think I'm having side effects now. Could all be my imagination though?

• Posted

Hi John. I am also withdrawing from Cit and doing it pretty much the same way as Alex. I was on 40 mg''s and 10 days ago I reduced to 35mg''s. still feel a little crappy in the mornings but feel pretty good come nightime. I will attempt to reduce by 5 mg''s every two weeks until i''m down to 10 mg''s at which time i will prolong reducing to zero over a 2 to 3 month preriod. I exercise daily and I plan on defeating my A&D through exercise and nutrition. I'm tired of feeling crappy and these meds arent helping. I shud not feel like crap on meds that are supposed to make me feel good. However shud I level off on a lower dose I will stay on them a bit longer. Gonna see my Doc on monday aon a diff matter and I will advise him of my intentions then. At this point in time I think I know as much about this drug as he does. He goes by the good book. I go by the nasty experience. He tells me there are no side effects on Cit!!!! Seriously. I just cant take the roller coaster!!!!! But I wud have been so lost without this site. It was a blessing for me to find it.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

I was only on citalopram 10mg for 7 days

My doctor says this isn't long enough for it to get into my system so unlikely I'll have serious withdrawal symptoms if any at all.

Do you think he's right?

• Posted

Hi john. I'm not sure on that on but i'm someone in here wud know

• Posted

Hi John

I totally agree with everything that you have said. I felt rubbish and extremely tired all the time I was taking tablets including Citalopram.

Bet these Doctors wouldn't touch anti depressants themselves!

Best of luck.

Lisa Xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Has everything gone back to normal since you stopped taking citalopram? How long did it take?
    • Posted

Lisa. Its actually dissapointing that ur Dr knows very little about the meds he or she is prescribing for u. My doc says that there are no side effects with Cit. Wonder who the ding dong is that wrote the med book he's reading.

• Posted

Hi

You have done so well and been so sensible by gradually coming off cit. I have done the same. Been off the drug for bout 3 weeks and the head zaps have lessened but the anxiety is still quite high( taking propanolol)

I went from 5mg to zero and I wish I had actually gone down to 2.5mg. Doctors don't have a clue unless they have truly experienced it. I was on cit for 10yrs and no one in the medical profession questioned it til I had a breakdown in march. It was then suggested (and I agree )the pills were making me more ill.

Diet and excercise is so important. As is drinking plenty of water. I am an intelligent articulate woman but have found the medical profession lacking in knowledge on citalopram withdrawal. My doctors wanted me to reduce by 20mg at a time!!!! What!!!!!! I did it my way by doing my own research.

I would stay on 2.5mg for a good for weeks before finally come ng off. Citalopram is an awful drug

Well done and gud luck xx

I am also using Cbt to overcome my anxiety.

• Posted

Hello John

I doubt whether you should have taken Citalopram for only 1 week. It wouldn't even have had chance to take effect. What on earth made you stop taking them so quickly? I think a visit to your GP is essential, but be really honest with them, by tell8ng them what you have done, and ask their advice.

Lisa

• Posted

Hi Lisa. I stopped taking them because of the constant hot flushes which is the only side effect I got really, except a dry mouth. O was also not comfortable taking them as I didn't want an AD for anxiety. He prescribed propranolol for the anxiety symptoms but I only took one as I started to see a therapist for cbt. This does seem to be doing the trick to keep the physical symptoms in check.

My concern now is any long term side effects from the citalopram, especially sexual, but considering I suffered with erectile dysfunction before I took the citalopram I think this is unlikely. Also I only took for 7 days and at the lowest dose so even more unlikely as I didn't take it for long enough. This sound right to you as my GP thinks so?

• Posted

I took Citalapram without any suggestion that it would be difficult to stop.

I gradually reduced the dose and have stopped all together four weeks ago. Fot the first couple of weeks I felt pretty ok but now I feel terrible....weak

not much appetite...just horrible. How long does this last ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.