Citalopram withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello guys! Last time I used this site I was crippled by anxiety and depression which thankfully is now under control. I've spoken to my doctor and on Monday was given the go ahead to wean off citalopram! I've cut the dose from 20mg to 10mg and my goodness the symptoms! I had a horrendous headache the first 2 days the felt so much better but I've experienced huge mood swings/irritability, bowel upsets, almost threw up as I felt that nauseous and unwell and insomnia!

I was posting here to see if anyone has any experience with weaning off citalopram! How long will the withdrawal symptoms usually last? When did you feel normal?

I just feel so anxious and sad and just it's making me question whether it was a mistake trying to come off them. Are these thoughts common too? Anything I can so to help the side effects?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes I weaned off and spent a year doing it by 5mg reductions.  I did 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25 / 0 spending 2 months on each reduction and had no withdrawal symptoms that way.  Do it too quick and you’ll be ill.

Buy a pill cutter / crusher as the last 2 doses are too small to cut.

• Posted

Hi there I followed Kate's advice back last September when I was trying to reduce my 40mg dose and I've done it in 5mg reduction every 8 wks so now I'm on 25 mg ready to reduce to 20mg . It takes a while and the doctors haven't a clue on withdrawal which is why your feeling so ill, it's too big a dose, too soon. Buy a pill cutter and reduce by 5mg it will make such a difference to your withdrawal symptoms . Hope this helps and wishing you all the best on your journey

Take Care

Lou 😊

• Posted

you will get all of those things when you start weaning yourself off this medication,if you feel that the side effects are too great to cope with ,then maybe you need to retake medication and try again at a later stage,but do let your doctor about these side effects ,because the doctor may be able to prescribe something to counter balance the side effects 
  • Posted

I have been on citalopram for 5 years. 20mg /day. I decided to quit a few months ago...but to fast. I had muscle stifness, light digestive problems anxiety in the morning when waking up. Sadness also. I cut to 10 for a week. I was feeling fine so I cut to 5... Not good. So I went back to 10 for a month and feel ok. And went much slowlyer to do what Kate proposed. And seems to be working better. I when I do feel anxiety I just try to calm down. I still take light doze of lorazepam. This one is much difficult to stop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.