Citalopram working great for anxiety but mood still getting worse

Posted , 4 users are following.

i’ve been having problems with depression/anxiety since around september last year. on january i started taking sertraline, but stopped  as the side effects were really bad and not improving. For 12 weeks now i’ve been taking citalopram 20mg, and it’s been amazing for my anxiety symptoms but mood wise done nothing at all, if anything things keep getting worse. I really really don’t want to switch again seeing as i’ve finally got my anxiety under control and absolutely can’t go back to how terrible it was before. I’m also thinking increasing citalopram to 40 won’t make too much difference seeing as things are actually worsening on 20. Also my sleep is terrible (despite months of ‘sleep hygiene’) on 20 so can imagine 40 being even worse. really feel like i can’t keep going like this and i’m on the waiting list for counselling (looking like it’ll happen in August) so I’ve been thinking about maybe suggesting to my GP about adding another medication, and I’m just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what has worked? 

thanks in advance! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie!

?I was on 40 mg of Citalopram for 5 years with great results. My sleep was actually better than it had ever been in my life. I just wanted to mention that, in case you do decide to go up :-). I would still be on Citalopram at that dose, but unfortunately it quit working for me, so I had to switch. That's the downside to being on the max dose of these drugs; if they are no longer effective you can't go up.

?I have read of many people having success with adding another antidepressant to their existing one, especially if they have both anxiety and depression. It definitely would be worth discussing with your doctor.

• Posted

I should add, that my sleep was better once the Citalopram fully kicked in. I had bad insomnia when I first started the drug.
  • Posted

Hello, as your anxiety is okay on 20mg, but your mood/depression is not, i would have thought an increased dose would be logical. Why not try 30mg first. Your anxiety may go up initially, as you adjust, but ought to come back down once settled. An increase to 30mg would probably be a safer option to try. Speak to your doctor or pysc for advice.
  • Posted

Thanks both for the replies! 

My doctor hasn’t been very helpful if i’m honest so just thought i’d ask here so i can make the most of the 10 minutes a month i see her for! I’d be totally happy increasing the dose if it wasn’t for how much poorer my sleep is already on 20mg and how my depression has got worse when my anxiety lifting should’ve been enough to lift it at least a little surely? I guess it’s worth a try though and I’ll just have to deal with it getting worse if/when it happens. 

Thank you both again!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.