Citalopram Works! 😀

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been taking citalopram for 7 weeks now. The first 2 weeks I took 10mg and now 20mg. I should have gone on them sooner and waited until my anxiety was severely debilitating. Everything was making me panic and I was experiencing lots of physical symptoms. The first 2 weeks were the worst. I actually felt the most anxious I'd felt, like I was going out of my mind and was at the point of wanting to go to hospital. Apparently this is a common side effect. As soon as I upped the dose I started to feel a bit better. Every week I would challenge myself to do things that had become really nerve wracking: getting on a bus, going to the shops, booking on to a cbt course, ringing the iapt helpline. I also started reading the book Dare, which has really helped me rationalise my symptoms. They can't hurt you! I'm on week 7 now and every day I've felt better. I met my friend for lunch which was an achievement etc. I just feel a sense of calm. My mind isn't racing with intrusive thoughts anymore, I can sit and read a book or focus on a TV programme. My husband has noticed a massive difference. Before I used to look at people in awe and wonder how they were so chilled out. I'm now becoming one of those people. Initially I was taking these before bed, but I've changed that to mid day so that I find it easier to get up the next day. I spent so much time searching for positive comments before taking these but I'm so glad I did. 😀

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Nice one Sarah, you've obviously put some work in yourself by challenging yourself to do things so well done. Hope you continue to improve. Neil 

• Posted

Its so good to hear this Sarah smile I am currently on week 5 on 10mg and thinking of upping the dose. Like you I also have tried to challenge myself to do things that woulf usually make me anxious so that i can try and overcome them. It is so great to hear you are moving in a very positive direction smile There is hope for the rest of us! Well done you, keep going x
    • Posted

Thanks Jade. Well done to you for keeping on challenging yourself. It does get easier every time. 😀

• Posted

I am so glad to hear this Sarah. I hope I have the same effect. I will be in 10 mg for one week tomorrow and I am feeling really anxious. So this does get better? It just seems seems so odd that something I am supposed to be taking to calm my anxiety and lower my BP is making me more anxious. Also I am taking mine at bedtime. Maybe I need to switch to midday as well. I also will be upping my dose to 20 mg at 2 weeks. So did your side effects get worse when you started that higher dose? 
    • Posted

It is certainly strange that something that should help actually makes you feel worse to begin with. I felt awful for about 2 weeks then it eased and the symptoms became less and less. Still taking 10mg and just seeing how it goes before upping the dose. I take mine in the morning, I had issues sleeping when I took it in the evening. Good luck to you and sending you love, we all need it with anxiety x
    • Posted

Yes it definitely gets better. I actually felt 100 times more anxious in the first week or so then I had before starting the tablets! This only lasted two weeks though and I've not had a panic attack since. I did a lot of reading about these tablets and the general consensus was stick with them, they do work and I'm testament to that. I didn't have any side effects when upping to 20mg, I just felt better a lot quicker. By the next day I felt a lot better in myself. I'm now finding it easier to get to sleep with taking them earlier and feel less groggy when I wake up. I really think these are amazing, I feel so calm all of the time. It's helping me to rationalise my anxiety and recognise that it can't hurt me. Keep going, it will get easier and it's definitely worth it.

• Posted

Just a further update- 8 months on.

These have made such a positive impact on my life! I haven’t had a panic attack since! I’m able to do things that I hadn’t been able to do for a long time- go swimming alone, deliver presentations at work, etc. I’m still on 20mg and this seems to be the right dose for me. I still feel like ‘me’, but me during a period of low anxiety levels. I haven’t missed a day of work and I’m sleeping a lot better (although I do now listen to the honest guys, on YouTube, to help me drop off, or white noise). I’ve cut back on caffeine and alcohol too and this has led to me feeling much calmer (not that I was much of a drinker before). I notice that the earlier on in the day I take these, the calmer I feel in the evening. I can have a disturbed sleep, if taken late at night. The crazy dreams have stopped too. Overall, having deliberated long and hard over taking these, I’m so glad I did. I’m less obsessive and it seems to have balanced out the chemicals in my brain. All the best to everyone else. Xxx

• Posted

That is so good to read...I too feel a whole lot better on celexa...take care
    • Posted

Thank you. Glad to hear it’s worked for you too. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.